Any ideas for a new map?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any ideas for a new map?

so im bored with freemancity idk about you.

Lets open some discussion for what maps we could go to in the future. we of course can tour any of the maps in hl2dm first before switcing and still keep our items money etc.

once i narrow it down to a few maps thats just what wel do. kinda tour them with everyone on but not setup houses and stuff.

im thinking of atm maps like

city45
      amsterville
      some other new map( theres a bunch that got released id like to check out)
      and theres always the possibility of just remaking freemancity.

let me know what you think
    • Re: Any ideas for a new map?

I love the freemancity feel. I wouldn't mind keeping it, but maybe fixing a few areas (few texture glitches and such) and possibly expanding. Only thing I can say that I don't like about freemancity is that all the good/expensive places are all next to gas station. Nothing good next to bank really.

Ok first off, Freemancity is not expandable. Why? Because to my knowledge, Tissue put enough brushwork and detail into the map that adding more would go over the brushside limits of the Valve compiler (The brush side of every polygon is a int16 or a short which is a number from -2^16 - 2^16 which is not very much. It doesn't take long to reach that limit on an rp map). Therefore to expand the map, things would have to be removed and reworked first.

It would be awesome if we can redo freeman city. Awhile ago I was going to pay tissue to finish the version 2 of freemancity because I liked version 1 so much(this is back when I had a server) if you guys follow through In doing this and are going to pay someone I wouldnt mind throwing in money.

Well, no. Valve improving something has as good a chance as my flying to Hawaii, and streaking in front of Syles house. In other words, Valve still uses 16 bit integers for their compiler tools. They don't even have fucking CUDA built into vrad to make use of the hundreds of gpu cores to speed up lightmapping.

Tint has a map.

Its pretty far along, I've played on it before to test it with him.. He just stopped polishing it up back when Kirbs map went live and TF's was next in line since he thought his would never get play time. Last I checked PD needed a bit of work with the death run in it and he needed to adjust some of the hints (although he may have fixed that). I know he wanted to add custom textures but never got around to it.

I let him know you guys are looking to switch maps and I think he is gonna get on here and talk about it later tonight, but he wants to start it up again if you guys are willing to give it a go. But basically the concept is really cool, it's almost like a prison community, surrounded by high walls for the combine to monitor rebels on, its really Orwellian like. Maybe he can collaborate with other community map makers, like TF and Kirb, to polish it off. From what I remember, he has some decent sized apartments/houses and VIP apartments too with some neat map tricks.

-SunDry

SunDrySix wrote:

Tint has a map.
      Maybe he can collaborate with other community map makers, like TF and Kirb, to polish it off.

You know what could be good... either TF, Kirby, and Tint making a map together all new and remade, or just help Tint out with the map ;P. Could be a great idea or just do it themselves which could be fine instead of cooperating D:
      ~Captain Canadia

Proctor wrote:

I'm all for keeping/expanding Freemancity, I don't think it has ran its course quite yet. There is tons of ways to expand interest in the map, too (sell the train as a house! :hitit: )

noooooo....I actually USE the train! Sell the cabin as a house. I just had an Idea! make a job called "conductor" for which you get 100$ for every two minutes you sit in the train cabin.
      ToastyToast71, Professional Gravedigger.

Owned!!! wrote:

SunDrySix wrote:

Tint has a map.
      Maybe he can collaborate with other community map makers, like TF and Kirb, to polish it off.

You know what could be good... either TF, Kirby, and Tint making a map together all new and remade, or just help Tint out with the map ;P. Could be a great idea or just do it themselves which could be fine instead of cooperating D:

The difficult part would be design collaboration. Each of us probably have different ideas, and all of us working together on it would be rather difficult.