IT LIVES

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• So basically I'm about to reinstall my computer because I had some issues with one of my hard drives. Even though I have raid 5 setup on my system for data redundancy, one of the hard drives kept working and then stopping (bad ssd I guess), so it's caused Windows to think there are tons of bad sectors which is also causing the shitty os to eat all of my hard drive bandwidth (Microsoft has the shittiest Kernel in the world).

However, before doing this I have to prep things so I don't lose any information. I am using an external hard drive to save certain files. I also decided to clean out some old files I didn't need from it. Upon doing this, I stumbled on some files that I thought were gone forever.

The project file was NOT corrupted, and I was simply missing one of the texture packs that I had originally used.

[img width=594 height=339]http://s8.postimg.org/j2bjzpip1/wat2.png[/img]

Do I intend on reviving this map? Probably not. It's so poorly optimized, and idk if there's anything I'd be able to do to save it. I suppose it may be possible to just delete and redo a number of large portions of the ship, but do I really feel like it? Nah.
    • Though there are zome high spec drives and caching setups that make raid 5 on ssd viable, with the current crop of ssd its generally a bad idea. The overhead of constant reading and writing for the generation of redundant data accross the volume kills them prematurely. This is one place where mag drives still have the upper hand. Use ssd for system drives, and archive to mag raid arrays. Not saying it wont work because obviously it does... just not robust enough yet for private sector. --ThunderShorts
    • Yeah, lol.... I know exactly how it works. In one word (or term) "XOR". Ever hand wire an XOR circuit? I spent allot of time in "spaghetti labs" back in the 80's ;)
      Technically it does mean more read/writes overall for the volume, as most controllers typically break files up into fractional peices, and spread them across multiple drives, and generate XOR data to boot for redundancy. However... the files are smaller, so it is true that that has a positive effect on the P/E aspect, as load leveling algorithms will make sure that in the long run the whole space per drive is run through before any given address is re-written, so longer between overwrites. So yes, in that way (especially for RAID5, this is a good thing. However... unless you are using enterprise quality drives, you are asking for trouble using these in raid arrays... at least in my opinion given the present state of the SSD market for the average Joe (as you just found out). They are getting better though, and your point is taken... soon their performance and fault tolerance (and controller reliability) will get to the point where I'll give up my mag drives.
      I admit I had the same attitude about SCSI vs. IDE/ATA etc... for far too long ;)
      I now use 5x 4TB WD Red's in a 20 TB RAID array... works awesome, but then there is always lightning... fuck.
      --ThunderShorts
    • Idk. My array is consisted of 4 SSDs that are 128gB each. RAID5 uses about a quarter of that for the redundancy side of that. Also it was actually the connection to the one SSD that kept failing. It was loose, and every so often my computer would freeze and I would just slide the plug back in. I never thought anything of it, and I decided I would just fix the cord. Except I just never got around to it until I started noticing the speed reduction due to the shitty Windows Kernel which was trying to "recover" data from "bad" sectors that weren't actually bad.

I doubt these drives could be considered enterprise grade, but they are durable. They also heat up. I think part of the problem is that the average consumer doesn't realize how important it is to keep the hard drives cool. They focus solely on the CPU and GPU, and forget that the storage drives also get hot. SSDs follow the same thermal dynamics as a CPU. Basically when a microprocessor (or microchip in general) is heated by 10 degrees Celsius, it degrades twice as quickly as it would at room temperature. If heated 20 degrees Celsius, then it degrades twice as fast as it would at 10 degrees above room temperature. Room temperature being considered to be around 20 Celsius or 70 Fahrenheit. All you gotta do is place the little guys behind one of the front-case intake fans. If you have a small heat sync you could use then power to ya.

I just now looked at my case and realized one of the 4 drives is just out of the air stream of the front fan. The other three are in it. The one drive is significantly hotter than the other three.
    • BPN17 wrote:

TF my laptop idles at 137?F when I heat up a game it easy surpasses 150?F.

Is that degrading?

With what tf said, try to make sure that the vent is away from anything that could block it or make air ventilation more difficult (like the side of a desk or a blanket for when you're In bed beating off like we all know you do), and if you can, use it on surfaces that don't conduct heat and shit well, like wood or marble.

Charging headfirst into a whole lotta dakka.
    • Yeah. Well if the laptop is on a hard flat surface then the little rubber "feet" on the bottom of it that help keep it from sliding should keep it slightly above the surface to "breathe". You can also get a little laptop fan mount. It's a thing your laptop sits on that keeps it an inch or two above the surface, and it has a usb powered fan to help get air to the laptop. Highly recommended if you're going to do gaming on your laptop since laptops have awful cooling systems (let's face it, it's not really possible to fit a badass cooling system into a laptop case).