add sounds? :D

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re: add sounds? :D

Doesn't sound like a terrible idea.
      For Funnies could put in some E-rotic like Help me Dr Dick, King Kong, or Willy Use A Billy Boy.

Real Songs could do some Linkin Park(Older shit)
      Capital Cities Safe and Sound.
      Fall Out Boy - Uma Thurman cause fuck yeah Munsters Theme.
      Imagine Dragons Demons or Radioactive.

The problem with adding more music is that it affects the download times for people joining the server. IF someone has never played on Syles before, then they must download the map as well as all of the custom content. This can take up to 30 minutes for someone on a slower internet connection. It takes me about 10 minutes to join on a fresh installation (no custom content) of HL2DM, and 5 hours if I attempt to connect between the hours of 6am and 3am(the next day) on the campus network. It fucking sucks. Most would expect the networks to speed up later in the evening. Ours doesn't. It stays slow 21 hours out of the day. Anyways, we would all love to add songs, but the long downloading times for new players is dangerous since those players are more likely to just cancel and go to a different server.

That is basically why we don't just add song after song. Although I suppose we could clear out the current songs in place of new songs. After all, most of the SylesRP players will still have the files in their HL2 directory. Those who still have the files will still be able to hear those songs when the play command is used. Like I said, it's all a matter of those download times.

TF2274_r.2.0 wrote:

The problem with adding more music is that it affects the download times for people joining the server. IF someone has never played on Syles before, then they must download the map as well as all of the custom content. This can take up to 30 minutes for someone on a slower internet connection. It takes me about 10 minutes to join on a fresh installation (no custom content) of HL2DM, and 5 hours if I attempt to connect between the hours of 6am and 3am(the next day) on the campus network. It fucking sucks. Most would expect the networks to speed up later in the evening. Ours doesn't. It stays slow 21 hours out of the day. Anyways, we would all love to add songs, but the long downloading times for new players is dangerous since those players are more likely to just cancel and go to a different server.

That is basically why we don't just add song after song. Although I suppose we could clear out the current songs in place of new songs. After all, most of the SylesRP players will still have the files in their HL2 directory. Those who still have the files will still be able to hear those songs when the play command is used. Like I said, it's all a matter of those download times.

Ah that does make sense.
      Maybe a rotation of some sort?

A different thought, as you will never get enough songs up there to make everyone happy, without blowing the DL times... How about join sounds? On the old AP servers, we always allowed top VIP level to have their choice of an up to 30 second mp3 that would automatically play when the player joined... Example; One player named Twitcher's intro was the intro riff from Tool's "Prison Sex", and Mine was the old "Underdog" cartoon theme into. It was pretty cool, and was easy to do.