Using Locks as Cop on Cop Doors / Rebel Items as cop

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Using Locks as Cop on Cop Doors / Rebel Items as cop

Allow cops to add Locks on their Doors? 11
      Yes (5) 45%
      nope (6) 55%
    Hi fellows,

I want to suggest that Cops can add Locks on their Doors to make it more difficult to break in for rebels.

Since Cop's can't use rebel items, its forbidden to add locks I guess.

Maybe we could add a Cop Vendor?

Since cops would need to pay with their own money it won't be any advantage for anyone

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mike ().

• Re: Using Locks as Cop on Cop Doors

Cops aren't allowed to use rebel items that add crime or would be considered against the law.

Breaking someone's locks is against the law (although it doesn't raise your crime level). Lockpicking or hacking someone's doors does give you crime and is against the law. Same with using drugs, etc.

However, using a weapon from your inventory is legal. Using food, medpacks, adding locks to doors, etc is all perfectly legal, yet they are considered rebel items. So basically cops are allowed to use any item that isn't against the law to use. Consequently, spending your own money on locks to use on the PD doors is perfectly legal.

I would also like to mention that I would be in favor of cops using lockpicks or doorhacks in place of /kickdoor if the player with the high crime has 0 locks on their door. If you are a cop, this statement doesn't mean you can do so yet, but I would be in favor of having that be an exception to the "cops can't use illegal rebel items" rule. The player must still have enough crime to warrant a /kickdoor if a cop were to use a lockpick or doorhack though. If the other root admins agree with this then maybe we could update the motd and make that allowable.

The post was edited 1 time, last by CaveJohnson ().

• Re: Using Locks as Cop on Cop Doors / Rebel Items as cop

Okay so I had my locks removed from the PD Doors I set on.

People complains about it spoil the Game fun.

Rules say:

Do not use Rebel items as cop.

So does this mean: I can't use ANY Item as a Cop?

Could anyone explain this rule or specify what I CAN use as a cop?

Mike wrote:

Rules say:

Weapons and food can be used as cop

koipa wrote:

Mike wrote:

Rules say:

Weapons and food can be used as cop

So why not locks and lockbreakers? :)

A lot of this discussion of interpretation is about semantics, not about the intention of the rule.
    TF even took doors off his Linesse PD because there were so many that players stopped breaking prisoners out.

The intention of the rules is to create a certain gameplay dynamic.

If you allow locks on the PD it becomes too expensive to do jail breaks. People LIKE invading the PD, they LIKE breaking prisoners out. AND Rebels do have to be allowed to do some things - there is very little they can do [for fun]. If the PD is supposed to be Rebel Proof it would be all admin locked. Even 1 lock on a PD door is too expensive.

If you allow locks as an arbitrary decision right now, without integrating the effect into overall gameplay, you risk upsetting a balance that has been achieved. Leave it for the NEW plugin. The NEW plugin is supposed to happen soon.

[A year or so ago, locks on PD were discussed. The simply stated [ie no rebel gear] rule intention was said by [some?] Roots at that time to mean No Locks. The fact that some people HATE the LockDown alarm causes the topic to gain momentum when we are on Freeman map. Opinions are just opinions, they are not the same as working through the gameplay dynamic. I bet the Opinion on the subject flip flops every time it comes up.]

The MOTD rule does not qualify Rebel equipment with the word Legal. If you want to play semantics, then you need to have it unambiguously stated. That is why it is so very important to have a wiki that supports the MOTD with interpretation.

If you still think that it is "obvious" what the MOTD rule says, read the rule after the one we are discussing.
    "Do not use Rebel items as cop.
    Do not use keys as a cop, even if it's your own house."

Your OWN keys are "Legal".
    This is all about constructing a mode of gameplay - it depends what the current intentions are doesn't it?
    I say "Leave it for the NEW plugin, go with the Status Quo "

If it gives you crime you can't use it. If it doesn't feel free to do so. (Besides lock breaking).

But adding locks to the pd is just annoying no one wants to spend money to do raids when there's something better to spend it on and if your a cop with a lot of money your ruining fun for less rich players.
  • Lel. I replied weeks ago saying the same thing.

At the moment, cops cannot use any items that give them crime. Locks don't, therefore they are allowed.
    When my plugin goes live, it will block the usage of all item types that cops cannot use, therefore the rule will not be necessary.

Of course, cops can add locks to pd doors, but it's honestly going to be a waste for them since players will just break them later on. Also you have the fact that cops must use locks they paid for themselves.

Anyways, I'm locking this now. The thread has been answered.
  • TF2274 wrote:

Lel. I replied weeks ago saying the same thing.

At the moment, cops cannot use any items that give them crime. Locks don't, therefore they are allowed.
    When my plugin goes live, it will block the usage of all item types that cops cannot use, therefore the rule will not be necessary.

Of course, cops can add locks to pd doors, but it's honestly going to be a waste for them since players will just break them later on. Also you have the fact that cops must use locks they paid for themselves.

Anyways, I'm locking this now. The thread has been answered.
    You guys are missing the point - it HASN'T been answered. The question IS NOT simply can locks be used. The question is 'what is the effect on gameplay' . It may not be desirable to allow locks. In the same way that a cop using his own keys is disallowed.
    Locking the thread is fucking crap.
    How can you say that "going to be a waste for them since players will just break them later on." without considering the quantity of locks. I have removed over 300 so far, Alex removed at least 200.
    It is sooo hard to get a reasoned discussion about any aspect of this RP - most of the players can't be bothered helping and just cry about the results. And you get Officers who think they have thought about it but are just stating a subjective opinion. Rote and bigoted replies are unhelpful.
    I found exactly the same situation when I was trying to help BobV sort out all the rule conflicts in the forum/motd/wiki a while back.
    I said then that is is too bloody hard to get a decent result - it really isn't worth bothering. I really do not mind whether cops use locks or not [except TF was one of those who told me in Sept 2014 that cops musn't use locks!!] - but I think that players deserve better than off the cuff non-contextual answers.
    Just saying it is so doesn't make it so.
    And 50 locks per door is reasonable is it?

I reiterate - it is too bloody hard to get topics considered; the 'thing' that should be locked is the Forum.
  • Technically the OP's question was answered. The point of this thread was to figure out if they could be used or not.
    And answered objectively.

Also I don't remember telling anyone that locks were illegal. At the time there may have been a reason for me saying that, but it's so long ago that I don't remember.

Do I think they ruin gameplay? For the new players they do, but there are so many rich players who have so much money that they could literally throw away a ton of it on lockbreakers for the pd and they wouldn't care. So for those who don't have gobs of money, yes it would make it much harder for them to break in to the pd. However, cops have been allowed to add locks to PD doors for a long time. It wasn't until recently that there have been a noticeable amount of locks being added to the PD doors.

I suppose I could make it so locks can't be added to PD doors so we don't have to write another rule. That's possible, but unless that decision is made, the rule is that you can still use them.