TF's Job Suggestion Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TF's Job Suggestion Thread

So far my plugin is pretty much ready to go live. The core plugin has undergone thorough testing and has done really well. It seems to be bug free (although having a full server of player might reveal a few more things).

The latest things added to the plugin have been the inner doors and automated vip door systems in one module. Another module now adds props, kind of like what we have right now, but more advanced yet simple. Players will be able to spawn, place, save, pickup, and steal furniture props. The prop limit is automatically enforced by the plugin, and accounts for your VIP status. Additionally players have a really cool placement tool they can use for placement of props. These props will also disappear when the player goes offline to save ents and fps on low end PCs. The core plugin is also modular now, so things can be easily added to it by coding a module for it. So it's really cool, although further testing is necessary with those two plugin modules.

So now the next thing on my list is to create more jobs for the plugin. This is where the players come in. I need job suggestions, and if your suggestion is good enough, I'll code it.
      So in order for a job to be good enough to be added to the game, you must include a few things in the job description:
      (some of these are more advice than requirements)
      1) What do you do in the job?
      2) What tools are used in the job, what is their purpose, any details about the tools?
      3) Do the tools have weight/mass. For example, the new planting and printing jobs. The printers, planting 'ingredients', etc have weight. Your inventory can only hold a certain amount of mass, thus limiting the total amount of stuff you can carry.
      4) How is the job balanced?
      5) It is recommended that the job not rely on other players, but rather on non-player elements such as the NPCs, etc. Perhaps the job can earn you close to the same amount of money as a robber, but more active players online will increase the earnings. But you don't want the job to fully/heavily rely on other players.
      6) How much crime is given for each action? What are each of these actions? Also, crime cannot be the only balancing factor for a job.

Here is an example of a job suggestion that I would write. You do not need to follow this format, but this is how I would personally write it:

Job Name: Sanitation
      Description: The job involves trash that appears around the map. This trash will spawn in automatically if at least one person is using the sanitation job. Players will also drop trash if they use a food item and at least one person has the sanitation job. The automatic trash spawning will also scale up based on the number of players that have the sanitation job. To pick up trash, a player must simply press E on it. All trash that is picked up will become an item called "Trash" in the sanitation worker's inventory. The worker may walk to a sanitation zone. sm_garbage will create a temporary beam pointing to the garbage zone, and using the trash item from the inventory while in a sanitation zone will give the player $7 per unit of trash 'sold' to the dumpster. This job is a legal job, and no crime is given for any player actions. The balancing factor is the quantity of trash that spawns, and where it spawns. Also, the plugin will only spawn trash at predetermined trash spawn locations, which can include the player spawn locations pulled from the plugin core. The quantity of trash spawned per minute should be worth about 1.5 times the amount of money a player can earn per minute when robbing. This is multiplied by the number of players using the sanitation job. As part of garbage cleanup, garbage all despawns, and will not continue spawning for any reason if the last sanitation worker changes jobs, or if there are no sanitation workers to begin with. Since this job is a legal job that creates no crime, killing a sanitation worker will be double the crime added to the killer. Additionally, sanitation workers will not drop trash. They will continue to drop money like any other player though.

The post was edited 1 time, last by CaveJohnson ().

• Re: TF's Job Suggestion Thread

Not a job, but maybe somehow a cool feature would be this:

BANK ROB:

** You need atleast one cop online
      You need like 5 people to stay in the Bank.
      Someone will need to start the Bank rob with a command; /robbank
      All people will get huge ammounts of crime
      After they defended the bank for like 3 Minutes they receive money but need to deposit on another banker (local banker may be removed for some time then? Mayber after some Cop made the Bank secure again (with a command? /securebank) they will be back again)

----------
      Old Job?
      I guess there have been a Job called Hitman in the past, maybe we could add this again?
      People will need to pay money to kill someone legit with a Hitman (not possible with under 5)
      1) Kill other people for Money (Hitman)
      2)Maybe the job got a feature like /find.. You could add experience to this Job so you would need 5 min to /find with first level.....4 min with second level...and so on
      3)No weight but experience?
      4)You could make the job only usable for people with positive respect (plus you need to pay more $ to kill someone if you got a lot of hours)
      5)no idea
      6) 2000 Crime each kill + % of their hourse?

Also note that adding ai npc_citizens is part of future plans. These are simple ai that will walk the streets and sidewalks. Some will drop trash for the sanitation job, they will be able to be pickpocketed, etc. They are fair game to use in your job suggestion, but job suggestions involving those little NPC niggers will not be implemented for a longer while. Because the npc niggers have to be added to the streets and tested first.

This isn't really a suggestion for a new job, for an event. When a cop destroys drugs or printers, or arrests a rebel with weapons, the weapons, drugs, and money should all be added to an "evidence" cache that would spawn from time to time in one of the PD rooms (I suggest the one that is located all the way at the bottom, in the back of the area with the execution chambers). The evidence can be like one of those crate drops we have.

So basically, it would be a big stash of drugs, money, and weapons that you could get if you successfully get inside the PD and then get out alive. But, as mentioned before, the contents of the evidence cache would depend on how many drugs/printers are destroyed, and how many arrests are made. I am not really a programmer so I don't know how easy this would be to implement, or if you guys like the idea at all.

Actually this would be fairly easy to implement. Very easy in fact. I even meant to do this, but forgot to. The only issue is how the plugin saves data in MySQL. I'd rather find a way to store it in the general config table without breaking the MySQL normalization rules. Worst case scenario is I create another table to hold the data for how much shit is in the evidence cache.

minigame job idea

Items involved:
      AR Rifle modified to 0 damage
      NPC's only visible to people within the job (not sure if possible)

Players would use their ar rifles as sort of the way of eradicating these npcs

This idea can be modified a bit, I just like that core concept of making a sort of mini-game for when the server is dead.
      The name of the job should match whatever npc/scenario you're trying to play off of

Locksmith

You are the master of locks and anything revolving around them!
      You may buy the materials to create a lock or a lock breaker at a cheaper price as long as you are willing to put it together yourself.

Lock components:
      Cylinder $200
      Strike Plate $200
      Latch $200

Lock Breaker components:
      Lock Breaker Kit: $250
      Cheap Screwdriver: $250

In order to create a lock or lockbreaker, one would click use on one of the components while the job is active- if they have all the needed components, one of each will be consumed and create a lock / lock breaker in its place.

If someone is willing to flip through the menus with every single lock they create, they should be allowed these discounted prices
      (and once again, it may get people doing something at the very least during off times.. imagine doing this for 1000 locks or breakers, yikes!)

Edit: Given the black market, the prices should be bumped up to only allow for a couple hundred dollar discount
      sniper santa misslelauncher

The post was edited 1 time, last by 420alex ().

420alex wrote:

minigame job idea

Items involved:
      AR Rifle modified to 0 damage
      NPC's only visible to people within the job (not sure if possible)

Players would use their ar rifles as sort of the way of eradicating these npcs

This idea can be modified a bit, I just like that core concept of making a sort of mini-game for when the server is dead.
      The name of the job should match whatever npc/scenario you're trying to play off of

Locksmith

You are the master of locks and anything revolving around them!
      You may buy the materials to create a lock or a lock breaker at a cheaper price as long as you are willing to put it together yourself.

Lock components:
      Cylinder $200
      Strike Plate $200
      Latch $200

Lock Breaker components:
      Lock Breaker Kit: $250
      Cheap Screwdriver: $250

In order to create a lock or lockbreaker, one would click use on one of the components while the job is active- if they have all the needed components, one of each will be consumed and create a lock / lock breaker in its place.

If someone is willing to flip through the menus with every single lock they create, they should be allowed these discounted prices
      (and once again, it may get people doing something at the very least during off times.. imagine doing this for 1000 locks or breakers, yikes!)

I have more ideas, i'm just tired of thinking/typing so i'll edit this later with more

First idea seems neat but the second idea would be inviting players to keybind menu items.
      I could easily see the Locksmith job being exploited with keybind menus so it's just spamming buttons and then selling the completed locks or lock breakers back to the NPC for full price and then rebuying via Locksmith job thus making a profit and inflating the economy. (Of course the made locks and lock breakers could be unsellable or in a different category so that this can't happen)

P.s. Christmas is over and this snow effect is making typing terrible again.

Volar wrote:

(Of course the made locks and lock breakers could be unsellable or in a different category so that this can't happen)

This would possibly make the job do-able.. that and separating bought locks from made locks on a door. Maybe say if I made 40 locks, those would get broken before the 460 I bought (have the made locks put to the forefront)

420alex wrote:

Volar wrote:

(Of course the made locks and lock breakers could be unsellable or in a different category so that this can't happen)

This would possibly make the job do-able.. that and separating bought locks from made locks on a door. Maybe say if I made 40 locks, those would get broken before the 460 I bought (have the made locks put to the forefront)

Yes but it still leaves players able to bind the menu keys to quickly spam and make them. It'd be honestly hard to see without looking at logs but that is one thing we don't want more of on the server.
      Maybe make it where the parts move around in inventory slots so that it can't be bound like weapons or food.

MORE JOB SUGGESTIONS:

Grave Digger:
      Your job is to remove the dead bodies from the street.

Hit use on a corpse for your payment.

Earn 100 - 150 per body

CAN NOT MAKE MONEY OFF YOUR OWN BODIES (if possible)

Bring back fire-fighter job pls

Goat:
      Your job as a goat is to eat grass and do goat shit.

Have grass spawn in various places of the map and give them 20$ for eating it.
      Give the goat 15$ for every piece of trash it eats.

King/Queen of the Party:
      You are the king/queen of the party. Dance your ass off!

Movement would be tracked in this job and each step / bit of active moving time would earn a little bit of money. The more you dance/move around, the more money you get. Les' get turnt up!

Banker:
      Players can hit use on you and access their bank! You collect 2.5% interest on all transactions which go directly to your bank
      (to avoid abuse, the person using the banker also loses 2.5% and the minimum withdrawal would be 10$)

The post was edited 1 time, last by 420alex ().

Locksmith - Good idea, but can't implement. This will go on the backburner though in case I figure out a way to make it work.
      King/Queen of the party - Sorry, I just don't see this working out.
      Goat - There's the sanitation job for trash, but omg this is beautiful. I might even be able to find a goat player model lel. If you are a goat I'll remove weapons, and you can just eat grass XD. Lol it'll be some Goat Simulator shit up in here.
      Firefighter - I can perhaps find a way to make this automated rather than relying on players placing bombs. So sure. This is a maybe.
      Banker - Good idea. Once again, will need some automation to it. I'll shoot for adding it.
      Grave Digger - Player corpses are client-sided entities (ragdolls) and I believe rag dolls are client side. This would need some work, and might cause problems with entity resource usage, so Ima have to say no to this one.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Mike wrote:

TF2274_r.2.0 wrote:

I also like bombs, but they shouldn't be the sole source of fire for the firefighters.

You should be able to set a fire in someones house and burn all their props C:-)

I like the whole idea of stealing someone elses props - now since you're reworking props in your new plugin - will that make admins spawning props null and void? or will admin decoration just be considered "a special treat" but not guaranteed? also, what will this change mean for admin's personal props? Just a couple of curiosities :)

With my plugin, admins doing decoration for players will not longer be a thing. Players will have fine control over their prop placement, and will be able to save their props. The plugin will automatically unsave and resave props that a player decides to move, and saving is also done automatically after a prop is placed. If a player just places a prop with their grav gun and not the place prop command then they can also use a player prop save command.

The original admin commands will be there, but they will only be appropriate for usage in adding map/furniture store decorations. Admins who play and own apartments will need to use the player prop commands that way their props will despawn when they disconnect.

TF2274_r.2.0 wrote:

With my plugin, admins doing decoration for players will not longer be a thing. Players will have fine control over their prop placement, and will be able to save their props. The plugin will automatically unsave and resave props that a player decides to move, and saving is also done automatically after a prop is placed. If a player just places a prop with their grav gun and not the place prop command then they can also use a player prop save command.

The original admin commands will be there, but they will only be appropriate for usage in adding map/furniture store decorations. Admins who play and own apartments will need to use the player prop commands that way their props will despawn when they disconnect.

D: can admins still decorate tho. How will war setups be?

I don't think this will be as good as old way

More suggestions:

-Bring back the old jobs. Eas was working on something that he never finished and he fucked up the jobs without putting things the way they were. Bring back hitman, stripper, and medic, and firefighter jobs.

-De-nerf the shotgun. Seriously, there's no point in it and the result has been that the revolver has been the only viable weapon in the game, which may be a wet dream for MLG wannabe kids, but kind of fucks over the casual player.

-Make a "pickpocket" job that works like robbing bankers or vendors, but with players. Instead of getting money from other players, you should need to stay near them while pickpocketing them, and after a period of time you could take something from their inventory.

-Bring back skillcuffs.

-Fix the food prices. Why are some food items worth more than firearms? It doesn't make sense and no one should have to pay that much just for a health refill.

In my opinion, the mod seems to have been totally gutted since 2012. So many things have been removed without any good reason.

Edit: Also, I don't like the ideas about making jobs with NPCs that are visible only to some players with certain jobs because I just can't imagine how that would work. It just seems unnecessary.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BlancheNegreOld ().

BPN17 wrote:

TF2274_r.2.0 wrote:

If you don't restrict props more than they are already restricted - I say fair enough.. but theres always scepticism that comes with using a new system. If all props remain spawnable/have free reign within the boundries of a home (allowing for clipping through walls with nothing behind them) then theres no opposition from me

BlancheNegre wrote:

-Bring back the old jobs. Eas was working on something that he never finished and he fucked up the jobs without putting things the way they were. Bring back hitman, stripper, and medic, and firefighter jobs.

Agreed, and I can bring them back the way they used to be, but they probably won't be quite as profitable as the other jobs. I have ideas to make firefighter be more profitable. Hitman, Stripper, and Medic probably won't be as profitable since they rely solely on other players interacting which isn't always possible.

BlancheNegre wrote:

-De-nerf the shotgun. Seriously, there's no point in it and the result has been that the revolver has been the only viable weapon in the game, which may be a wet dream for MLG wannabe kids, but kind of fucks over the casual player.

My plugin is a totally separate plugin, not just a modification of the current plugin. Being as I have done nothing to nerf the shotgun in my plugin, the nerfs will simply not exist.

BlancheNegre wrote:

-Make a "pickpocket" job that works like robbing bankers or vendors, but with players. Instead of getting money from other players, you should need to stay near them while pickpocketing them, and after a period of time you could take something from their inventory.

Will look into this idea.

BlancheNegre wrote:

-Bring back skillcuffs.

Agreed fgt.

BlancheNegre wrote:

-Fix the food prices. Why are some food items worth more than firearms? It doesn't make sense and no one should have to pay that much just for a health refill.

Agreed fgt.

BlancheNegre wrote:

Edit: Also, I don't like the ideas about making jobs with NPCs that are visible only to some players with certain jobs because I just can't imagine how that would work. It just seems unnecessary.

NPCs that roam the streets will be visible to everyone. However, their behavior might change slightly depending on if at least one player has a certain job. For example, if nobody is using the Sanitation job, then these roaming NPCs won't randomly drop trash.

420alex wrote:

BPN17 wrote:

If you don't restrict props more than they are already restricted - I say fair enough.. but theres always scepticism that comes with using a new system. If all props remain spawnable/have free reign within the boundries of a home (allowing for clipping through walls with nothing behind them) then theres no opposition from me

Props can still clip through walls, and the old commands still exist.
      db_create
      db_create_throw
      db_save/sm_saveit (both commands do same exact thing, just aliases)
      db_unsave/sm_remove (same as above)
      db_delete/sm_delete (deletes a prop whereas unsave/remove only removes from database)
      sm_angles
      sm_origin
      All the shit above is usable for admins, and are almost an exact copy. However, db_create is slightly different. Right now it's db_create modelname 1. Now it's just db_create modelname. However if you specify a number, that number will become the spawnflags of that prop.

View the video below for how the player placement system works:
      [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqg9YRtzFUo[/youtube]
      Video still processing, so might be potato quality until processing is done. Also I just slapped this together, so no editing done and not much attention paid to having HD quality video.