My idea to get rid of cop "applications" for good!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My idea to get rid of cop "applications" for good!

So firstly apologies for not working on the cop exp for so long. Right now I am working on some code upgrades which will allow me to make the RP code easier to maintain and fix while also making repeated code more consistent (by not repeating code and using the closest thing to objects I can fake out of Sourcemod). Once that is done in a week or two I will be able to add automatic promotions to the cop system, but I want to go a step further: I want to make cop a public job!

Here's how it works:

1) Cops ALREADY earn money straight to their bank. When afk for 5 minutes or more their wage begins going into their cash on hand. This already exists.

2) Cops that rejail a player will not reset their jail time. This is already a thing.

3) A cop releasing a prisoner notifies the cop that arrested that player that someone else released their prisoner. This, once again, is already implemented. This way if a player is abusing their cop it would be easy for a ban report to show this with a screenshot. Additionally I can block this altogether.

4) If I do the above and block the ability to release players you didn't jail (unless you're an admin), then if the arresting officer switches to a rebel job or leaves the server, the player will be able to be freed by any other cop.

5) What if the arresting officer goes AFK? Well by the time they go AFK any of their arrested players will most likely be out of jail. Or close to it. Not enough of a deal to worry about.

6) Here's the big one! What about cops RDMing players? Easy fix. I could implement a combat system. It's a simple player v player combat tracker idea. IF you shoot a player, then you are added to a list of attackers of that player. This would work with cops in the sense that, if you attack a cop, the cop can do damage to you. If the cop attacks you, but you are not flagged on their attackers list, then the cop will do no damage to you. Even though this system could be implemented to track things like revenge kills, this system would only apply to players v cops, and a similar implementation could be used to protect under 5 hour players.

7) #6 has a problem. Cops are currently allowed to fight players who shot AT them. How do I determine this? Simple. If a player hits a cop, the first 'hit' with a bullet will cause no damage to the cop. That means ANYTHING you hit the cop with, even an SMG round, will do no damage. However, everything after that will be like normal. Of course by hitting the cop that first time you are now flagged on their list which means the cop can now cause damage to you. Explosives are very powerful, therefore unlike bullets, if an explosive is the first thing a player hits a cop with, then the explosive will only do 10% damage and will count as that first "bullet". As with bullets, all combat will be the same as usual.

8) Lets say you attack a cop. You are now added on their list. Let's say you also manage to kill that cop. Your name will remain on that cop's attackers list. That means the cop will be able to do damage to you in the form of a revenge kill. This feature is optional however.

9) If a player dies, their name is removed from all cop's attackers list. When they respawn, no cop will be able to damage them until they attempt to attack.

10) PD apartments will be treated like any other apartments. If any player can play cop then any player can buy a PD apartment which will count as their only apartment. Attempting to access a apartment in the pd however may be difficult as a rebel if enough cops are online since they can still kill you. Or maybe just get rid of cop apartments entirely????? Again??? Personally I don't want to rid of them.

So in the sense of removing the application process and just making the cop jobs thing another job like the others, the above ten points cover what is necessary. Cops AFKing, jailing/unjailing fairly, cop v player combat, and cop housing.
      Did I miss anything? Does anything else need to be considered for such a system?
    • So the thing with the post for being a cop on forum getting removed~
      It's good for player's that want to be one but can't because getting stripped someday or do not want make a post on our Forum and must not wait long for it.
      The work on us admin's will taken do give on they post with " +1 / -1 " stuff. search

Is it possible to make it unlock it after a certain time? Like more than 50/100 hours? When the players have more exp and know what they doing?
      a new player joined the game have no clue about this mod an walking around seeing the employment npc and taked a job, maybe even cop.
      Sure he can't do damage to rebel player's (What about cop's?) but that dont help the players. Better from a certain number of hours i think.

To number #6:
      What happend when player's have a house with some defense stuff, that the cop need to crouch in jump etc.
      The rebel need to shot him twice (If he have only a revolver and hiding with more than 1800+in they house) before killing him? This will probably be a bit annoying for the player's or am I wrong? hmm

For which rank the player gets when they switching to the public cop?
      What happend when players have already a cop status, getting they reset to the other?
      What about the whole application in the forum? or the section(pending, accepted etc.)?

Sorry if my english sucks.
    • Cave Johnson wrote:

6) Here's the big one! What about cops RDMing players? Easy fix. I could implement a combat system. It's a simple player v player combat tracker idea. IF you shoot a player, then you are added to a list of attackers of that player. This would work with cops in the sense that, if you attack a cop, the cop can do damage to you. If the cop attacks you, but you are not flagged on their attackers list, then the cop will do no damage to you. Even though this system could be implemented to track things like revenge kills, this system would only apply to players v cops, and a similar implementation could be used to protect under 5 hour players.

7) #6 has a problem. Cops are currently allowed to fight players who shot AT them. How do I determine this? Simple. If a player hits a cop, the first 'hit' with a bullet will cause no damage to the cop. That means ANYTHING you hit the cop with, even an SMG round, will do no damage. However, everything after that will be like normal. Of course by hitting the cop that first time you are now flagged on their list which means the cop can now cause damage to you. Explosives are very powerful, therefore unlike bullets, if an explosive is the first thing a player hits a cop with, then the explosive will only do 10% damage and will count as that first "bullet". As with bullets, all combat will be the same as usual.
      Kaito makes a decent point with Rebels having it a little harder in killing the Cop due to it doing Zero Damage on the first hit BUT what I'm concerned about is would this system break Skillcuffs? Would Skillcuffs just be removed? If they aren't removed then would Skillcuffs still cuff on the first hit or would a Cop that hasn't been shot at yet have to wait for the Rebel to attack them to be able to Cuff/Skillcuff?

Otherwise I really like this idea concept.

Cave Johnson wrote:

10) PD apartments will be treated like any other apartments. If any player can play cop then any player can buy a PD apartment which will count as their only apartment. Attempting to access a apartment in the pd however may be difficult as a rebel if enough cops are online since they can still kill you. Or maybe just get rid of cop apartments entirely????? Again??? Personally I don't want to rid of them.
      PD apartments are fine and dandy but some maps like the current one has no extra rooms to speak of to have as cop apartments. I like the Idea of a Cop Home but it's not truly something Cops need, I mean if a player is dedicated to cop then there is really no need for a home unless you want a place for your friends as Rebels to hide out.

I'm actually alright with having Applications removed if this system can be implemented and works with maybe only a minor bug or two but like Kaito said I'd like a Time Limit or the Job Unlocking if able. I don't want a huge one like Kaito since the new shooting feature would stop stupidity. I feel 11-15 hours on Server would be enough, that would allow for no overlapping of a New Player System with Cop and gives the new players time to learn the Server better before trying a different team.

• Kaito Shuno wrote:

Is it possible to make it unlock it after a certain time? Like more than 50/100 hours? When the players have more exp and know what they doing?

a new player joined the game have no clue about this mod an walking around seeing the employment npc and taked a job, maybe even cop.
      Sure he can't do damage to rebel player's (What about cop's?) but that dont help the players. Better from a certain number of hours i think.

To number #6:
      What happend when player's have a house with some defense stuff, that the cop need to crouch in jump etc.
      The rebel need to shot him twice (If he have only a revolver and hiding with more than 1800+in they house) before killing him? This will probably be a bit annoying for the player's or am I wrong? hmm
      For which rank the player gets when they switching to the public cop?
      What happend when players have already a cop status, getting they reset to the other?
      What about the whole application in the forum? or the section(pending, accepted etc.)?
      -Yes. It can be made to unlock after X hours or more.
      -I think I will end up allowing cops to kill players with bounties, which means players with bounties won't have that "first shot" restriction. As for those without bounties, perhaps I'll just have the first shot be 10% damage regardless of what is fired. Also, if you want to talk about players being annoyed, what about cops being annoyed by the fucking crouch mazes that players come up with. I think cops deserve a little something in return for us allowing those again.
      -Switching to cop for the first time will be the first rank. Switching to cop any time after that will be whatever rank their number of exp points dictates after that.
      -This system will only be implemented after cop exp is implemented. Existing cops will have ranks adjacent to the number of exp points when they use the cop job, like any other player.
      -Cop app section gets perm locked, but not deleted since this idea, if implemented, may collapse making that section become necessary again. Or the public cop jobs might require an application to access the higher ranks.

Sidezz wrote:

In a similar mod known as Roflcopter RP, the cops were open for anyone to play, but you could only jail players. You didn't get guns or extra health until the later ranks.
      That's a good idea. No guns for the first one or two ranks. Or maybe no guns for the first rank, and a pistol for the second rank.
      I could also set it up where the lower ranks are restricted, such as:
      - No unjailing anybody no matter what
      - No guns/extra health in the first couple ranks as already stated
      - Very weak guns after that until you get to the higher ranks
      - Use of /kickdoor requires that a player is the door owner, just a keyholder, and has 4000+ crime, in order to be used.
      - /kickdoor would be free since the plugin would make it impossible to break the /kickdoor rule basically
      Going higher in the ranks could start enabling stuff such as:
      - More powerful weaponry when you get to the really high ranks
      - Being able to unjail your own cuffs, and eventually, after getting a really high rank, being able to unjail anybody.
      - Being able to use /kickdoor on doors where any keyholder has 4000+ crime instead of just the door owner. Really high ranks could use /kickdoor on any door, but at a cost if nobody on that door has a bounty

It could also be coded where the lower ranks are public, and promotions are dealt with by the exp system, but where players will stop being promoted until enabled by an admin. Perhaps anybody can be cop, but they must make an application on the forums to be enabled to go from the lower tier ranks to the upper tier ranks.

Volar wrote:

Kaito makes a decent point with Rebels having it a little harder in killing the Cop due to it doing Zero Damage on the first hit BUT what I'm concerned about is would this system break Skillcuffs? Would Skillcuffs just be removed? If they aren't removed then would Skillcuffs still cuff on the first hit or would a Cop that hasn't been shot at yet have to wait for the Rebel to attack them to be able to Cuff/Skillcuff?
      Otherwise I really like this idea concept.

PD apartments are fine and dandy but some maps like the current one has no extra rooms to speak of to have as cop apartments. I like the Idea of a Cop Home but it's not truly something Cops need, I mean if a player is dedicated to cop then there is really no need for a home unless you want a place for your friends as Rebels to hide out.
      Well I can do almost anything on the code side of things. All cuffing is actually dependent on damage being registered. Though the plugin ends up cancelling the damage dealt, some damage has to be dealt in the very beginning in order for a cuff to register at all. So no, skillcuffs and regular cuffs will not at all be affected by this.

PD apartments might be a thing that comes later, or maybe only higher ranking cops will be allowed to buy them. Idk. I'd hate to do away with them since I had made them become a thing again when I added the cop-afk feature. Plus I'd hate to waste them. Maybe they could just become admin housing to help make more places available to the actual players. Idk on that yet. Initially I might just do away with PD housing all together, excluding anybody who already has a PD apartment at the time of rollout.
    • Cave Johnson wrote:

- Use of /kickdoor requires that a player is the door owner, just a keyholder, and has 4000+ crime, in order to be used.
      - /kickdoor would be free since the plugin would make it impossible to break the /kickdoor rule basically

Cave Johnson wrote:

- Being able to use /kickdoor on doors where any keyholder has 4000+ crime instead of just the door owner. Really high ranks could use /kickdoor on any door, but at a cost if nobody on that door has a bounty
      I'd prefer kickdoor be left alone in this sense. I only say this due to some doors(mainly PD ones) getting stuck and the only way to unstick them is to kickdoor or have a Rebel Lockpick it.

Cave Johnson wrote:

That's a good idea. No guns for the first one or two ranks. Or maybe no guns for the first rank, and a pistol for the second rank.
      I could also set it up where the lower ranks are restricted, such as:
      - No unjailing anybody no matter what
      - No guns/extra health in the first couple ranks as already stated
      - Very weak guns after that until you get to the higher ranks
      Going higher in the ranks could start enabling stuff such as:
      - More powerful weaponry when you get to the really high ranks
      - Being able to unjail your own cuffs, and eventually, after getting a really high rank, being able to unjail anybody.

It could also be coded where the lower ranks are public, and promotions are dealt with by the exp system, but where players will stop being promoted until enabled by an admin. Perhaps anybody can be cop, but they must make an application on the forums to be enabled to go from the lower tier ranks to the upper tier ranks.
      I'd assume Admins would be able to set their rank if needed. - For instance I have my ''own'' Cop Rank. Rank 10 - Police General. When this system goes in I would be set to Rank 1 and Exp set to 0. If I employed myself to Police General would the next time I join auto set be to my Exp level or would I be ''exempt" since this system would only affects Ranks 1 through 9 (Chief Of Police)?

I do like the concept of PD Apartments but as I said not all Maps have enough Rooms in the PD to utilize this, we'd have to set up an already built Complex and designate rooms for Cops. I do however like the later option of only being obtainable by Higher Cop Ranks, it gives Cops another reason to be played.

Is there any thoughts on stuff for Cops to do while there is no active crime?