Regarding the philosophy of being cop

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Regarding the philosophy of being cop

Disclaimer - this was originally a reply, to West's deleted post about too many cops, and although im open to change,
      some people see the issue with cop as not being "fun" enough or "pays too little"

i disagree

"i agree with west - i think the revamping cop idea is missing the point of being cop

is the point of being cop to have "fun"? doesnt rp work best if cops were the minority? - the issue is not the pay, because i made a fair amount of money jailing and cuffing people with crime and its pretty ...

see i always thought as cops to be a somewhat of a guardian to the server, we are there to make being REBEL MORE FUN. not to have fun as cop! - cops should be players who had enough fun as rebels, to the point where they shouldnt mind keeping an eye on things for a change crimewise or act as a challenge to rebels who want to raid the pd

this is the issue in my opinion.... people are bitching out of the "boring" responsibility of getting killed without revenge kills, or being on duty for that matter - cop is a duty, a job, so the normal players ( the rdmers and the noobys) alike can fhave a funtime

i do not agree with the philosophy that being cop is just some joyride - missing the point of the job

i do not think being cop should be accessible as being rebel - path to chaos

We should raise the minimuim hours to more than 40 hours

i am open to change tho

you get extra health, and weapoms - not because its supposed to be fun............cops are there for the rebels IMO"

The post was edited 1 time, last by duer ().

• duer wrote:

basically why fix something thats not broken? dont blame the lack of active cops on the job being boring

active cops are people who care , period!
      So what about those times on the Server when you're cop and only 1 or 2 other players are active at the time and not gaining enough crime for a Cuff, the player playing as Cop is supposed to sit there and twiddle their thumbs?

The pay isn't terrible but it is bad especially when the Server isn't bustling with activity.

• Volar wrote:

duer wrote:

basically why fix something thats not broken? dont blame the lack of active cops on the job being boring

active cops are people who care , period!
      So what about those times on the Server when you're cop and only 1 or 2 other players are active at the time and not gaining enough crime for a Cuff, the player playing as Cop is supposed to sit there and twiddle their thumbs?
      The pay isn't terrible but it is bad especially when the Server isn't bustling with activity.
      if theres low activity and low crime, cops can either go off duty to rebel or be patient until crime goes up

Crime activity can change drastically at anytime

Is that a big enough reason to completely rehaul the cop job?

Why is that a major issue
    • duer wrote:

if theres low activity and low crime, cops can either go off duty to rebel or be patient until crime goes up

Crime activity can change drastically at anytime

Is that a big enough reason to completely rehaul the cop job?

Why is that a major issue
      Yeah it is when at time and it's happened to me in the past where there would be little to no crime for literally hours.

I don't know how you're treating the word Rehaul in this. I'm stating Cop could use a pay increase, it doesn't need to be major but be something maybe tie it in with Cop Rank, the higher you are the more your cuffs and jails give you as well as asking for a secondary job for the Cop to do while there is no crime. The Server may be active now but it has it's WTF times with tumble weeds.

I disagree with the can go Off Duty to Rebel part, some Cops like to play strictly Cop. Almost all of my hours in game are logged as Cop, like 90%+ of them.

• Volar wrote:

don't know how you're treating the word Rehaul in this. I'm stating Cop could use a pay increase, it doesn't need to be major but be something maybe tie it in with Cop Rank, the higher you are the more your cuffs and jails give you as well as asking for a secondary job for the Cop to do while there is no crime. The Server may be active now but it has it's WTF times with tumble weeds.
      OH OK, i get this, i was refering to cave johnson's post on getting rid of the cop application

but as far as your personal preference on staying cop it comes down to this:

Q. Are we going to allow the dichotomy between rebels and cops interchangeable for players? (current situation = yes)

a. yes = if you perfer to be cop all the time, your choosing to be on duty all the time, if theres no work to be done, you stay on post

b. no = then we should keep cop players seperate from rebel players and force a choice to be made on which you prefer and you stay there..(unlikely to happen)

Without Rebels (crime) - cops cannot exist in rp - if you wanna be cop during low rebel activity its gonna be boring , thats just how the system works naturally

im just afraid of major changes to cop leading towards diminish returns in positive gameplay - you can only do so much to make hl2dm rp better until you turn it into a whole other game

The post was edited 2 times, last by duer ().

• I think TFs post on the npc cop change is a step in the right direction for the gamemode. However to really improve it i feel as follows.

The crime beams system should be replaced with the rings for anything below bounty.
      Kick door should be replaced by adding two things.
      1. a mayor job that is elected by the server in game via a poll. Mayor approves or denys search warrants. Once the mayor is killed, he loses the job. This keeps a fresh stream of players, also adding an element of assassinating the mayor. Cops should protect him aswell.
      2. Search warrent command implemented where a search warrant is able via command to target on a player and the mayor approves/denys this warrant. If the warrent is approved the /kickdoor function enables for any doors that the player has keys to. I also belive items that open doors should emit an audible sound and warn the user they are entering.

Cop should be like any other job in rp: you have a set of tasks to complete and an element of fun while doing it, earning cash/spending cash all the way. Right now its kind of a sub admin position that goes around following beams for free money. Its not a terrible system right now, but it was never the best.
    • Sidezz wrote:

sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      sm_smite @combine
      DAD?
    • duer wrote:

im excited af tbh
      Agreed, I like Syle's ideas.

I'm not really wanting to change the overall game-play of Cop I just want something that allows Cops to gain in some way while there is no crime.

syle22 wrote:

Cop should be like any other job in rp: you have a set of tasks to complete and an element of fun while doing it, earning cash/spending cash all the way.
      Currently Cops can't even use Vendors, I understand the concept but this needs to be reverted. It was intended to stop buying and selling as Cop when Cash on hand didn't drop from Cops but not any Cash on hand does drop so this is just a redundant function now.

• For sure adding some other options for cops to do is a big plus. That and what syle said about adding a new feature in general to make the game have more cop acitivity would be interesting.

But I agree with Duer in his comment of not ridding of cop application and allowing just about anyone be cop. (Tbh, I have no idea how much time Sidezz has played with Purple Shep, but he had 2 negative comments and 1 neutral, yet accepted by Sidezz. This makes me wonder if just anyone can be cop, what problems can ensue in the server.)

A big concern with a small cop community is lack of cops actively on, but we still do have ppl that play cop. Just to have more cops by allowing anyone be cop even if certain restrictions are put on, once they reach a certain minimum, they will be able to abuse the system. They can break friends out of jail, and switch back and forth when needed to suit them.
    • eldrun wrote:

so when you disconnect as mayor you lose it? Also what perks are there of mayor and what would prevent a troll mayor from blowing up the city
      What prevents a troll mayor? Nothing other than my revolver shots to his skull. A shitty mayor will also not be re-elected most likely.

Yes you loose it, it should be a running election constantly going if one mayor dies, a new one takes the place voted by the whole online population.

Perks are you approve/deny warrants and can demote shitty cops. You also prob will have pd keys and a bit of extra hp.