Controlling RDM

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Naujoji wrote:

If people come on the server just to kill people and leave, there is also nothing wrong with this. This is how they play the game, and how they have fun.
      How senseless can a couple of sentences be?
      Any other gameplay doesn't come in the way of other players fun. This one does.
      If people don't like being RDM and haven't even talked or done anything to a player, they should be able to get it dealt with and continue with their own gameplay.
      That's literally the reason why there are deathmatch servers. Just kidding, I know they shoot back in those and RDMers hate that.
      Admins shouldn't be given the trouble to deal with everyone who starts complaining, but that's a long way to go until "there's nothing wrong with people, who are so bored and in need of attention, coming on just to upset others".

PS: Save us the "who are you?", "everyone knows me", "i don't care about anything or being banned" replies you usually hand out, focus on the question in matter, babies as old as your account on this forum are still called newborns.
    • Sazuke wrote:

Naujoji wrote:

If people come on the server just to kill people and leave, there is also nothing wrong with this. This is how they play the game, and how they have fun.

yeah...dont agree with this bit.... if you wanna just kill people, go start a DMing community

Conflict Vs. Harassment (Definition of Overtrolling)

its not that overtrolling is a bad rule

"overtrolling is being used as a scapegoat for RDM and thats not what its for."
    • Sazuke wrote:

Naujoji wrote:

If people don't like being RDM and haven't even talked or done anything to a player, they should be able to get it dealt with and continue with their own gameplay.
      If someone wants to kill you they can. If you have a problem with it deal with it in game not going on the forums or to an admin for them to "solve" your problem.

Sazuke wrote:

That's literally the reason why there are deathmatch servers. Just kidding, I know they shoot back in those and RDMers hate that.
      Honestly this just shows what an ignorant dumbass you are. Most of the people you refer to so play DM when not on the server and we just want to take a break and play some to, which the way we play is different but not illegitimate.

Sazuke wrote:

Admins shouldn't be given the trouble to deal with everyone who starts complaining, but that's a long way to go until "there's nothing wrong with people, who are so bored and in need of attention, coming on just to upset others".
      Your first sentence makes sense but the rest is just idiotic. No rdmer comes on for attention. They come to have fun. Killing and conflict is a legitimate playstyle and I don't get why people like you can't understand that.
    • Perhaps the problem isn't RDM but 1. The lack of things to do causing people to rdm. 2. Players getting rdmed aren't exactly safe unless they hide behind a rich players house.

I'm all for RDM but if 10 hour player is getting shot non stop, he probably just got a house has 0 locks and hes pretty fucked. No real escape from it even if it is a "lite" rp which this server really is. It has always really been a hollow rp and more of a deathmatch server. On top of that, the players being told "20k or I stop killing you" already have nothing, they get shot the instant they go out into the streets so they are never going to earn money and if they have to login at very specific hours then it's no longer really an enjoyable game.

The thing that is happening lately is Haxy and others pretty much being banned or leaving the game, this server has moved to be a more casual rp and less of a deathmatch server now that all but one of the active old staff has retired or quit there is no "suck it up" type sayings which really shifts the way the game is played.

I think there are a few but less than ideal options to solve this. 1. We move to a more of a full rp server which this server has been heading towards anyways. 2. Add actual real features that this server hasn't had in years to keep players busy rather than planting weed and shit talking. 3. We find a method that lets players take breaks from rdm while not preventing rdmers from shooting players if they choose to. 4. Current staff starts telling players tough shit until players start leaving and we go back to the 5 players online the server had for a few months last year when everyone was saying "Servers dead, hopefully we can stay in touch, etc etc"
    • BobVeka wrote:

2. Add actual real features that this server hasn't had in years to keep players busy rather than planting weed and shit talking.
      3. We find a method that lets players take breaks from rdm while not preventing rdmers from shooting players if they choose to.
      Do you have any specific ideas for these two options? The fourth one seems like the one that will happen if people keep getting tired of getting shot, which apparently has been a growing top lately.
    • eldrun wrote:

Sazuke wrote:

Your first sentence makes sense but the rest is just idiotic. No rdmer comes on for attention. They come to have fun. Killing and conflict is a legitimate playstyle and I don't get why people like you can't understand that.
      Are you exerting any effort to understand him/not your exact perspective?
    • Sazuke wrote:

BobVeka wrote:

2. Add actual real features that this server hasn't had in years to keep players busy rather than planting weed and shit talking.
      3. We find a method that lets players take breaks from rdm while not preventing rdmers from shooting players if they choose to.
      Do you have any specific ideas for these two options? The fourth one seems like the one that will happen if people keep getting tired of getting shot, which apparently has been a growing top lately.
      Before we moved to the current plugin we have now. I was working on a 2 part release for option 2. That I feel would have worked rather well. It would be a ton of work I think to port to this though just because the current plugin seems more stream lined and properly separated and wouldn't be a copy and paste type job of transferring the old code to the new plugin. That's if I even pull the old hard drive to grab it again.

Option 3 might be doable with rules or code. Other servers in the past had a limit so you couldn't just shoot a guy 300 times it was X specific player kills per hour. Which isn't really good as it still upsets rdmers which in a way are good for the server it's just bad when there are too many rdmers or no way to avoid the conflict. On top of that, it requires more things for admins to track which is bad.

Other servers have also done things like consumable lockpicks so you couldn't torment a guy without wasting money breaking into his house or even have players keep a percent of what they drop so while still a pain in the ass, is less of a loss to the player dying while the rdmer still gets paid for rdming.

Another option and perhaps the easiest would be pushing players to rdming cops and rewarding for it possibly. Rdmers would have something to shoot and get a reward for doing so, cops would have players with crime to cuff and it wouldn't be as directed to normal players.

Or even adjust vips so you get a weekly allotment of weapons vs spawning with them.

Fact is though, it's always going to be a multi part fix and no party will ever be completely happy about it. It may just be best to find the exact cause of a players frustration when they die and come up with ways to dampen that frustration. Unless of course you wanted to piss off the 10% player base that runs around shooting things for the other 90% and do something extreme.
    • BobVeka wrote:

Another option and perhaps the easiest would be pushing players to rdming cops and rewarding for it possibly. Rdmers would have something to shoot and get a reward for doing so, cops would have players with crime to cuff and it wouldn't be as directed to normal players.
      This is by far my favorite line in a constructed thought out post. I don't know about others but the majority of my fun as Cop(Atleast back on Linesse R3 and some R4) was every time I stepped out of the Building I had 1+ players shooting at me and trying to break in. I feel like it really livens the job up when you're constantly under pressure.

• Volar wrote:

BobVeka wrote:

This is by far my favorite line in a constructed thought out post. I don't know about others but the majority of my fun as Cop(Atleast back on Linesse R3 and some R4) was every time I stepped out of the Building I had 1+ players shooting at me and trying to break in. I feel like it really livens the job up when you're constantly under pressure.
      This is also why i want a very interactive PD for raids
    • Sazuke wrote:

Until "NO RDMING ALLOWED" is a rule, nobody should read this.

Sazuke wrote:

I can't believe you think that killing someone is the only reason they "don't have fun"

Sazuke wrote:

"there's nothing wrong with people, who are so bored and in need of attention, coming on just to upset others".
      The problem with this is, I know at least I stay mostly quiet on the server until someone I don't even know starts talking shit. For example: You

Sazuke wrote:

PS: Save us the "who are you?", "everyone knows me", "i don't care about anything or being banned" replies you usually hand out, focus on the question in matter, babies as old as your account on this forum are still called newborns.
      I think my post did pertain to the question until it got deleted. "how senseless can a couple of sentences be

ZomBloR! wrote:

Are you exerting any effort to understand him/not your exact perspective?
      Why does he have to do that?

duer wrote:

"overtrolling is being used as a scapegoat for RDM and thats not what its for."
      The same people that use it love to complain about RDM

BobVeka wrote:

it has always really been a hollow rp and more of a deathmatch server.
      Why do we change the server because people can't defend themselves in the game. It is different if you are under 10, but the people on here have over 100 hours.

BobVeka wrote:

Perhaps the problem isn't RDM but 1. The lack of things to do causing people to rdm.
      There was once a time when I sat in my house all day and printed. This gets boring however, and killing is still more fun, and you arguably make more money from it.
    • killing and conflict are just about the only things that keep this economy moving. because there is theoretically a infinite amount of cash that can be created in the game, currency only gets cycled back to the government from items and houses. Locks are also probably the main money sink right now. RDM causes people spending money on things to defend themselves or target others, which flows cash around player to player. if you take away that conflict, you are just farming for the sake of farming.

the rp mod would have to be majorly overhauled on every level in order to implement any sort of no random death matching rule
    • The Doggy wrote:

This. If the killer doesn't want any gain from killing another player besides the satisfaction of killing them and making them leave then it should be dealt with. But if the other player pissed them off somehow and they want money to stop killing them then they should just pay them and then leave them alone.
      +1

eldrun wrote:

You just lost any and all respect I had for this thread.
      you're and idiot Eldrun and massive RDM nerd

duer wrote:

whats gets me, is rdmers who go for non rdmers just because its easier....
      Totaly agree, this is what happens for 99% of the exessive RDM, most of the time they even team up to players they know, are easy to troll

Volar wrote:

The only thing I currently have a problem with is when others players literally hunt another to ruin their game play experience.
      yep ind, i've seen it happen so many times, most of the time, "dm admins dont do shit about it", just playing the server empthy

420alex wrote:

The only case I would consider 'over-trolling' or excessive would be something turned into obsession.. where the hunter eats/sleeps/breaths to hunt a single person down.
      Strange to hear some admin who finaly gets the whole picture, I have a term for your explanation Alex, its called the "Johnny cap cyndrome"

Sazuke wrote:

How senseless can a couple of sentences be?

If players are allawed like now, to just come online, rape every one evry single time. And leave. Not participating in any way to the RP motd. Then I can say there is no outher reason than they just join to troll.

I do know I accuse many players of cheating, but the pat hase proven that in most cases I was right. I do know I suck at DM, but I also know when I play on a DM server, I still can manage to kill EVERY one on the server multiple times, no matter who they are ore what kind of pro players there are online. And when I come to this server, there are some players (cheaters) ssssft. Who you cant kill even once??? yeeeaaah sure... XD