Controlling RDM

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Controlling RDM

I think RDM on this server can get out of hand. Doing something that offends another player doesn't warrant an hour of constant RDM. Too many players are looking for any reason to have a grudge and then just DM non-stop. I am not saying this for just myself but for other players that experience this behavior too, such as Nutter.

I think the hardest part of this suggestion is coming up with a line in the sand of what is considered "enough". Personally, if you find yourself wanting to target a single player allow 15-20 kills. That is a high threshold for "enough is enough". Sometimes I will be playing and watch people leave because another person simply cannot stop being harassed. It creates headaches for the player(s) and the admins and definitely runs some people off.

I know there are a lot of people on here who don't want that because they are in fact DMers themselves.
    • Most people that do this make simple demands for them to stop.

It's mind boggling that players are starting shit and not expecting retaliation. Talk shit get hit. It's incredibly sad that players start something then go to the admins to have it stopped.

It's also a huge part of the game. It's a way for some to make money if they don't want to go though the process of planting or counterfeiting.
    • What is "starting shit" though? You could be doing something completely unrelated to a player (not DMing) and then another player steps in and says "I'm going to DM you now". I've seen this scenario play out over and over again on a daily basis. Again, I am not speaking just for myself here.

If there is a pattern of it happening enough where the player base is requesting admin support then goes from a "part of the game" to a problem. Matu/Slovak Power throwing a GPS on me and then DMing me (with his obvious hacks) is not "part of the game". It's game-breaking and lowers population count. I see people complaining about it daily.

Being completely hands-off and dismissing it as "part of the game" just tells me you want to be uninhibited when you feel like going on some killing spree in the server. Which I believe you're known for doing from what I've heard. I would imagine anyone else who doesn't want any sort of restriction here is likely in the same boat.

ZomBloR! wrote:

It doesn't have to be some blanket rule either. If two or more players agree to DM without restriction then they can announce it in the server and go about their merry way.

If a player who has been killed non-stop makes a request for the other player to stop then it should be respected in some capacity or the offending player faces punishment.

The admin group here is smart enough to come up with a fair solution that doesn't hurt population numbers imo. I am just tossing out a foundation for ideas.
    • eldrun wrote:

Most people that do this make simple demands for them to stop.
      This. If the killer doesn't want any gain from killing another player besides the satisfaction of killing them and making them leave then it should be dealt with. But if the other player pissed them off somehow and they want money to stop killing them then they should just pay them and then leave them alone.
    • The Doggy wrote:

eldrun wrote:

Most people that do this make simple demands for them to stop.
      This. If the killer doesn't want any gain from killing another player besides the satisfaction of killing them and making them leave then it should be dealt with. But if the other player pissed them off somehow and they want money to stop killing them then they should just pay them and then leave them alone.
      Yup. Absolutely agree, however I am talking specifically about when players are killing just to troll another player. I am not talking about killing for profit/stealing/whatever. Yes, that is a part of RP. Killing someone over and over again for an hour is not RP, especially when the person being killed has respectfully asked that user to stop multiple times. The DMer is simply doing it to intentionally deteriorate someone's experience.

eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

Matu/Slovak Power throwing a GPS on me and then DMing me (with his obvious hacks)
      You just lost any and all respect I had for this thread.
      The evidence is overwhelming. Even some admins agree that he hacks. You can believe what you want, but shit is obvious, sorry.
    • ZomBloR! wrote:

eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

Matu/Slovak Power throwing a GPS on me and then DMing me (with his obvious hacks)
      The evidence is overwhelming. Even some admins agree that he hacks. You can believe what you want, but shit is obvious, sorry.
      "Evidence" Admins saying someone is hacking (and note not a single admin on this server has ever competitively dmed besides eas) is not proof.

You're ignorant. You have 52 hours, matu has over 3000.
    • eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

"Evidence" Admins saying someone is hacking (and note not a single admin on this server has ever competitively dmed besides eas) is not proof.
      You're ignorant. You have 52 hours, matu has over 3000.
      No point in derailing the thread. He may have 3000 hours on the server but I have been playing Half-Life games since 1999. I know a hacker when I see one. Feel free to turn a blind eye because someone AFKed in your server for a long time. I don't really care and it's not really the point of the thread.

eldrun wrote:

duer wrote:

whats gets me, is rdmers who go for non rdmers just because its easier....
      This is just pure insanity.

It happens every.single.day. and the RDMer has complete immunity under current server rules. It's on the victim to AFK/Leave. That isn't good for server morale/numbers.
    • ZomBloR! wrote:

eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

"Evidence" Admins saying someone is hacking (and note not a single admin on this server has ever competitively dmed besides eas) is not proof.You're ignorant. You have 52 hours, matu has over 3000.
      No point in derailing the thread. He may have 3000 hours on the server but I have been playing Half-Life games since 1999. I know a hacker when I see one. Feel free to turn a blind eye because someone AFKed in your server for a long time. I don't really care and it's not really the point of the thread.
      Honestly I don't think you understand. It's not my server, and he doesn't afk. He's hardly on the server unless he's active.
    • eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

"Evidence" Admins saying someone is hacking (and note not a single admin on this server has ever competitively dmed besides eas) is not proof.You're ignorant. You have 52 hours, matu has over 3000.
      Honestly I don't think you understand. It's not my server, and he doesn't afk. He's hardly on the server unless he's active.
      Your server/The server. Whatever. I really don't give a shit. Make another thread if you're passionate about this topic.

I am not.

ZomBloR! wrote:

Conflict vs. Harassment (Definition of Overtrolling) wrote:

Harassment, is when the conflict goes too far, preventing the enjoyment of the game as one player pursues the situationbeyond the point where the other player is accepting defeat, and offers surrender, mediation and reconciliation.

At this point, its not a game anymore, its bullying - IF ONE ADMITS DEFEAT, DO NOT PURSUE THE CONFLICT ANY FURTHER.

This is exactly what is being overlooked, consistently. Especially for players who don't have the rapport with other players that the DMer has. Just yesterday there were 5 people on the server and Blackopy decided to just kill anyone on sight. The active players were asking him to stop and he just kept playing stupid or telling them to give him 15k.

I mean that is textbook harassment and coercion. It's damaging to the server and just breeds hostility.
    • ZomBloR! wrote:

Harassment, is when the conflict goes too far, preventing the enjoyment of the game as one player pursues the situationbeyond the point where the other player is accepting defeat, and offers surrender, mediation and reconciliation.

At this point, its not a game anymore, its bullying - IF ONE ADMITS DEFEAT, DO NOT PURSUE THE CONFLICT ANY FURTHER.

This is exactly what is being overlooked, consistently. Especially for players who don't have the rapport with other players that the DMer has. Just yesterday there were 5 people on the server and Blackopy decided to just kill anyone on sight. The active players were asking him to stop and he just kept playing stupid or telling them to give him 15k.
    • eldrun wrote:

ZomBloR! wrote:

So saying "Give me 15k or I'll kill you constantly" completely absolves the DMer of any responsibility of ruining someone's experience for an unreasonable amount of time (10-60+ minutes)? Sorry, that is a shitty loophole that just opens the doors for anyone who feels like they are in the mood to harass players. You'll have to do better.
    • in eldruns defense,

a victim has the right to chose not to give in to demands

just as much as the DM'er has the right to not stop dm'ing them because of the refusal

but the above is completely seperate from harassing a player just because he doesnt want to pay up...

victim players must learn how to not react like a child everytime they get killed

we must not baby victim players, but instead teach them how to get the DM'er to lose interest in further coersion by using game mechanivcs or collabopation or reverse psychology.
    • duer wrote:

in eldruns defense,

a victim has the right to chose not to give in to demands

just as much as the DM'er has the right to not stop dm'ing them because of the refusal

but the above is completely seperate from harassing a player just because he doesnt want to pay up...

victim players must learn how to not react like a child everytime they get killed

we must not baby victim players, but instead teach them how to get the DM'er to lose interest in further coersion by using game mechanivcs or collabopation or reverse psychology.
      This I agree with. Plus said dmer can't be on 24/7