Poll to improve the current situation going on.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Poll to improve the current situation going on.

Revert the plugin to what it was a week ago and/or require all developers to test things and confirm they work on a test server. 21
      Yes (18) 86%
      No (3) 14%
    In under a week the amount of economy bugs and game breaking bugs have shot up, the player base has been cut in half if not more. Staff and players alike are complaining in game and in steam chats. No one knows who to contact to get things moving nor is anyone that actually plays each day happy with the current situation.

Two separate staff members have told me that this is an embarrassment to their jobs and the community when they can only apologize for the issues going on and not being able to do anything about it. Players are frustrated with new bugs that have provided 0 new features or requiring staff to constantly fix issues that should not be there. Server up time is at all all time low and it was already bad enough to begin with.

Fill out the poll. If any leaders care around here the poll will set the new standard on how things should be run. Otherwise all hail chaos crew considering I've seen two staff members willing to toss away months of work to play elsewhere with nothing they worked for transferring due to issues easily preventable by leaders willing to do very easy things to ensure everything runs smoothly rather than what we have now.

The post was edited 2 times, last by BobVeka ().

• Bob why have you turned into a total cunt all of a sudden? Do you not realize that I actually did a lot of testing before putting the plugin up? Do you not realize that these bugs manifested only when the plugin went live?

This is the largest plugin update since BlueRP was put up for the first time, and the pattern of bugs and what not is the same as before. Just like before, things got fixed within a week or two and everything was good again.
  • Guys the point is - Apply the plugin updates to the test server so the bugs dont affect our player base on the main server

You guys think these players are gonna wait for us while we take our time?

Its embarassing as fuck for us admins who dont know how any of this works to just be like "be patient, it will be fixed"

Btw it was me who persuaded bob to start this poll
  • You do realize that I tested all of this on the test server right?

And every bug fix I have made so far has actually worked. I never said that I fixed the inventory bug where it doesn't let you use items. I said I needed to investigate some things further, but every bug fix I said I fixed has actually been fixed.

It's just that new bugs are discovered.
  • The update is on the code side.

Firstly the server doesn't have 10 minutes of seizures upon a normal crash that will always happen after a certain amount of time.

Secondly, the code is much easier to work with and less repeat code. In fact, every bug I have found has been fixed in less than 5 lines of modified code. Previously the same fixes would take multiple lines of code being modified all over the plugin file.

Yes, restructuring the code introduced a bunch of bugs. It's not just an update. It's almost a rewrite, but with a fuckton of copy-pasting from the old plugin followed by some restructuring to fit the new object oriented code style. Also the re-structuring didn't include Doggy's code because I can't restructure a plugin file that is constantly changing. Also I will be giving doggy a really good template and tutorial to write his own modules. He'll just have to copy/paste his code into a module and do slight restructuring. It's pretty easy to do though. I really want to see his tutorial added in.

(Also I fixed, but haven't uploaded) the weapons being used on other players instead of yourself. I can't get doorhacks and lockpicks NOT to work for me. They always work, and until I can catch them not working, I won't be able to see a pattern to use in order to trace my code. The same goes for any other door item.

Also what bugs have I not fixed? Ok, so we do have the plugin stopping itself on occasion becaue dynamic.smx (the driver for the object oriented stuff) occasionally has a memory leak (according to SourceMod).

Other known bugs:
    - Stripper job not fully functional (low priority at the moment)
    - Door-based items not working intermittently
    - Weapons being used on other players if you are looking at them
    - Plants not properly disposed so the plugin thinks you have 3 plants when you don't

If I missed anything then do tell so I can add it to the list. Today the server appears to be at nearly 11 hours of uptime.
  • CheesyBread wrote:

Bob why have you turned into a total cunt all of a sudden? Do you not realize that I actually did a lot of testing before putting the plugin up? Do you not realize that these bugs manifested only when the plugin went live?

This is the largest plugin update since BlueRP was put up for the first time, and the pattern of bugs and what not is the same as before. Just like before, things got fixed within a week or two and everything was good again.
    This isn't hello kitty land where everyone has to be nice to each other. The community is constantly complaining to me and im not even staff. People in game are disliking how everything is going at the moment but no one wants to say it properly. This entire transfer has been a shit show. It's not about feelings it's about implementing things properly and testing. There are more than enough people willing to help you test as clearly your testing isn't enough. Considering there are 13 yes's and 3 no's I think you can tell where the community stands.

I feel as though I made this thread quite nicely. But if im such a cunt let me be blunt with you. You made something awesome but each time you touch the server shit breaks. Heck right around the time you first put it on people suddenly started getting millions. Less than a week later that same plugin that went to hell went live again. Was there a test for others to come in and help find bugs? There has never been a time where doggy has coded, I have coded or others where players weren't willing to come in and help. 99% of the time they even find bugs the developer doesn't. You try it and it works once so "it's not a problem" Or it's source engines fault or it's the test servers fault. It's no ones fault by the guy who makes it. You and and other leaders in particular are so out of touch with the server it's insane. Would any of the leaders even have known about major stability issues going on for months until people started nagging in the chat box? "haha it's not rp it's crash simulator" This went on for over a month before any form of acknowledgement was made. On top of that, why would we be on a new plugin before the major data loss was even fixed on the current plugin. I don't see the point of adding new code and bugs if we can't even fix the old ones.

Pointing out what the majority is feeling isn't being a cunt. It's called being aware of others who actually play the game and play it every day are feeling. No one gives a shit if the new code is better in the long term if they have a shit unstable game to play for 2 weeks.

If i'm a cunt I guess the constant steam chatters trying to find how to deal with this are all cunts too. The players frustrated because they want to come home after work and just have fun are cunts and the players switching to other servers are cunts right? No you're wrong. You're the cunt for putting players through this and getting offended when people are clearly upset about it and the players who actually play the game are having a bad time. But it's all about making sure we get it across nicely so feelings aren't hurt?

The post was edited 5 times, last by BobVeka ().

• pretty sure 100% of all code conversions regardless of how much testing they went through, have had issues when going live. i mean think back to when we didnt even have mysql and how buggy that was at the start. Despite testing it thoroughly, we ran into a bug where all door owners would suddenly reset. Its the nature of coding in general. Without mysql we would not be able to log all rp actions nor manage data effectively. What if we gave up instead of working through it back then? That exploit last week? probably would have resulted in an entire reset had we not logged everything.

These things take time and i have faith in what TF is doing. The code is much simpler and easier to work with. like stated before, its almost certainly a rewrite which in turn has caused issues that are unrelated to any previous bugs.

I have not heard 1 report of item loss and have had people extensively trading for the past 3 days. Before it would cause item loss after 1 trade and a crash. I dont think reverting to the old mod is the call here given that we were unable to fix the item bug, the plugin began to crash itself over and over, and a billion dollar printer had been spawned. Especially given TF has been on the ball about fixing these bugs as they appear.

I get where you are coming from bob, i really wish code behaved as it should.
  • syle22 wrote:

pretty sure 100% of all code conversions regardless of how much testing they went through, have had issues when going live. i mean think back to when we didnt even have mysql and how buggy that was at the start. Despite testing it thoroughly, we ran into a bug where all door owners would suddenly reset. Its the nature of coding in general. Without mysql we would not be able to log all rp actions nor manage data effectively. What if we gave up instead of working through it back then? That exploit last week? probably would have resulted in an entire reset had we not logged everything.

These things take time and i have faith in what TF is doing. The code is much simpler and easier to work with. like stated before, its almost certainly a rewrite which in turn has caused issues that are unrelated to any previous bugs.

I have not heard 1 report of item loss and have had people extensively trading for the past 3 days. Before it would cause item loss after 1 trade and a crash. I dont think reverting to the old mod is the call here given that we were unable to fix the item bug, the plugin began to crash itself over and over, and a billion dollar printer had been spawned. Especially given TF has been on the ball about fixing these bugs as they appear.

But there is a way of doing things that prevents a lot of the issues going on. I was a dev here too. I know things break. But you can prevent a lot of what is going on by very basic public tests that players are more than willing to help with. Half the bugs require 2 players to pop up, how can one test things like cuffing players, cuff saws, bounty bugs by themselves? Even if two people are being used for testing, some of these bugs don't show up every time. It's not a one time test and done. Again let players come in and help.
    I have faith that TF can fix this and make it stable, but I'm also well aware it can be done much better than what it is. No one is doubting things will be fixed in the long term. But people are very aware of the short term damage that can easily be prevented and the work load that lazy testing is putting on the staff.

I just don't understand, every time we have a major change it's stuck live with issues. Have you as the leader never thought "hmm we have three test servers, perhaps we should run a public test for players to report bugs?" Or has it always been "yeah stick it live these complaints by the majority of the players aren't an issue they will shut up eventually"

It's not like players are wanting the developer fired or to stop things completely. Just take a step back, find ways to lessen the current issues and try again at a later date.

Fine you win. It's not like you play your own server and have to deal with the shit that is breaking. Or care to listen to the poll showing over 80% of the player base agrees.

The post was edited 8 times, last by BobVeka ().

• BobVeka wrote:

syle22 wrote:

pretty sure 100% of all code conversions regardless of how much testing they went through, have had issues when going live. i mean think back to when we didnt even have mysql and how buggy that was at the start. Despite testing it thoroughly, we ran into a bug where all door owners would suddenly reset. Its the nature of coding in general. Without mysql we would not be able to log all rp actions nor manage data effectively. What if we gave up instead of working through it back then? That exploit last week? probably would have resulted in an entire reset had we not logged everything.

But there is a way of doing things that prevents a lot of the issues going on. I was a dev here too. I know things break. But you can prevent a lot of what is going on by very basic public tests that players are more than willing to help with. Half the bugs require 2 players to pop up, how can one test things like cuffing players, cuff saws, bounty bugs by themselves? Even if two people are being used for testing, some of these bugs don't show up every time. It's not a one time test and done. Again let players come in and help.I have faith that TF can fix this and make it stable, but I'm also well aware it can be done much better than what it is. No one is doubting things will be fixed in the long term. But people are very aware of the short term damage that can easily be prevented and the work load that lazy testing is putting on the staff.

I just don't understand, every time we have a major change it's stuck live with issues. Have you as the leader never thought "hmm we have three test servers, perhaps we should run a public test for players to report bugs?" Or has it always been "yeah stick it live these complaints by the majority of the players aren't an issue they will shut up eventually"

It's not like players are wanting the developer fired or to stop things completely. Just take a step back, find ways to lessen the current issues and try again at a later date.

Fine you win. It's not like you play your own server and have to deal with the shit that is breaking. Or care to listen to the poll showing over 80% of the player base agrees.
    I bought tf a second account and he used it to test all kinds of player interactions. I do play my own server bob, thank you very much. most of the bugs i cant even replicate. I could only replicate the 3 plants gltich. The complaints are valid and the bugs need to be fixed but they are not detrimental to their lifetime stats and long run of the server. the short term is concerning but over the past 3 days everything has been fixed in a more than timely manner. TF has been working night and day to be able to both better the long run of the server and short term.

We get live issues because the code behaves differently with longer up time and larger player base. Things you cannot test effectively in a test server because the environment as much as you want it to be the same is just fundamentally different.

I just dont agree with pulling the mod off when we are so close and running it through more abstract tests is the way to go, rather than running it live seeing how it behaves and correcting it as needed
  • wtf. fuck you dicks that voted no. I cant pick up my fucking trash when the plugin constantly crashes. No wonder people are moving to chaos crew. syles I never see you on. so don't go there. #BobVeka2016

You fucking cuck suckers. You can ban me if you want. I understand. I just wanted to get that out there.

i mean it from my heart<333
    Tell your mom I said hi

The post was edited 1 time, last by xXBootyQuakeXx ().

• xXBootyQuakeXx wrote:

wtf. fuck you dicks that voted no. I cant pick up my fucking trash when the plugin constantly crashes. No wonder people are moving to chaos crew. syles I never see you on. so don't go there. #BobVeka2016

You fucking cuck suckers. You can ban me if you want. I understand. I just wanted to get that out there.
    You have been afk all day and the server has been up for 20+ hours by counting the hours you were afk. while me and tf have been testing/fixing bugs. are you implying that the other mod was any more stable than this one? because you are sadly mistaken
  • syle22 wrote:

xXBootyQuakeXx wrote:

wtf. fuck you dicks that voted no. I cant pick up my fucking trash when the plugin constantly crashes. No wonder people are moving to chaos crew. syles I never see you on. so don't go there. #BobVeka2016

You have been afk all day and the server has been up for 20+ hours by counting the hours you were afk. while me and tf have been testing/fixing bugs. are you implying that the other mod was any more stable than this one? because you are sadly mistaken
    According to your own words in the shoutbox. You had to do a map reload to get the plugin working again. That was 9 hours ago. On top of that, the server crashed as of 5 minutes ago. Which means the plugin stopped working 9 hours ago, and 9 hours later it crashed. That isn't 20 hour uptime.

Now in case math isn't anyone's strong point. Having to reload the plugin once and then crashing 9 hours later is not 20 hours of stability.
  • syle22 wrote:

xXBootyQuakeXx wrote:

idk most of the words you are using. the server just crashed so i'll ignore your comments. I just wanna pick up trash. overall this shit just shouldnt have been happening in the first place. you log in like the first time in a while its been up for a good bit. but whateva whateva whateva have your fun playing with my trashy feelings. Plus you had to do a map reset today on top of this current crash, so its down twice brothaaaaaaaaa.
    Tell your mom I said hi
  • duer wrote:

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO REPORT BUGS?

ARE WE SUPPOSED TO WAIT FOR THE PLAYERS TO FIND THE BUGS FOR US?

rp mod still shuts down guys!
    if we don't find them ourselves, they certainly will, They are also compensated if the bug is truly game breaking. Again i was unable to replicate the cuffsaw not working, the doorhacks the lockpicks the locks, so its hard to narrow down what caused it and what the pattern is. it doesnt mean we ignore it, we just need more data.

The Official Bug Report Format (And important information)

BobVeka wrote:

syle22 wrote:

xXBootyQuakeXx wrote:

According to your own words in the chat box. You had to do a map reload to get the plugin working again. That was 9 hours ago. On top of that, the server crashed as of 5 minutes ago. Which means the plugin stopped working 9 hours ago, and 9 hours later it crashed. That isn't 20 hour uptime.

Map reload yes, server crash no. Data loss no. Sezuires no.

Server crashed 5 mins ago from a 20+ hour uptime and a edict limit. If you guys really want 50 hours uptime we should just delete all the furniture on the map.

We are aware of the cause of the unloading of the plugin and are looking into a fix