Blowtorch

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The concept of the blowtorch is rather simple: An item with a 24 hour cooldown that functions similarly to a cops access to /kickdoor - that similarity being the ability to bypass all locks for a short amount of time (60-120 seconds). The use of this item would only inhibit the use of locks, and not unlock the door; requiring the raider to use the correct tool to open it completely (i.e a doorhack / lockpick).

How is the blowtorch obtained?: I suggest that a niche item like this ought to be restricted to a somewhat high rarity. To impose this, I suggest that the blowtorch can only be obtained from random supply drops at a rate of around 1/100, giving the item its own market value along with a high player demand.

Why?: Currently, gangwars and raids are predominantly limited to being either outside or between cops and rebels. This one-time lock bypass gives players/gangs a single opportunity to raid a property without having to be concerned about spending potentially millions on lock breaks.

Pros:
      - Provides an incentive for gang/territory conflict
      - It means that houses with thousands of locks can't hold a monopoly on property which is resulting in everyone buying keys instead of buying their own property.
      - Adds a new niche and expensive item for players to work towards.
      - Due to the 24 hour cooldown, the blowtorch is balanced and only provides players with a one-time chance at raiding someone's house.
      - It can only be obtained through supply drops, meaning everyone has a chance of getting one regardless of hours/wealth, promptly giving the item its own market value rather than a set npc value.
      - Raiding properties with 1000s of locks will be made possible, yet still risky and unoften.

Cons:
      - Since it can be used once per day, raiding properties with multiple rooms/doors may be tricky. However, this may encourage players to redistribute their locks to doors spread throughout their property rather than just the front door.
      - The potentiality for bugs (such as the server crashing during the blowtorch effect resulting in a players locks disappearing)
      - Slightly devalues locks, though it can be argued this re-balances them somewhat.

This is all brainstormed, therefore I'm open to any constructive criticism and feedback. If you see any potential flaws and loopholes, feel free to point them out!
    • idk about having a cool down and permanent item, one time use seems more balanced. one time use and rare drop in the supply crates could create a cool dynamic.

sometimes you wanna raid and have a pvp base fight but don't wanna drop 1m to fuck each other over.

these items should be rare and only obtained through player trade or supply crate drops.

It may cause people to think twice about where they put their locks and keeping more active in defending property.
    • yea sure, sounds like it'd actually bring an interesting dynamic to the game so im down. ill make it one time only tho and around as rare as a master lottery ticket (about 1 in 100 chance). so you'll only be able to get them through dailies, /spin won't have them and they'll only last for 60-120 seconds so if you dont have a lockpick/doorhack you're fucked lol

edit: it'll give you a load of crime as well depending on how many locks are on the door
    • The Doggy wrote:

yea sure, sounds like it'd actually bring an interesting dynamic to the game so im down. ill make it one time only tho and around as rare as a master lottery ticket (about 1 in 100 chance). so you'll only be able to get them through dailies, /spin won't have them and they'll only last for 60-120 seconds so if you dont have a lockpick/doorhack you're fucked lol

edit: it'll give you a load of crime as well depending on how many locks are on the door
      I agree with that. But my idea is that if u use it too often it will explode. Similar to the printer.
    • Dog has added some code for it already, Im tweaking it a bit and testing it out.

Gonna have it have a channel time of about 5 seconds and play a sound once it activates. Also curious if locking the door should be disabled for 1 minute after it is used so people dont just spam lock on the door and actually try to defend.

its still one time use item