Storage Chest for items and / or money

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Storage Chest for items and / or money

I'm suggesting the addition of a storage chest for people to store money and items inside their house. This will allow people to clear out their inventory of junk they are not currently using, so more commonly used items are easily accessible in the field.

This chest, or possibly a separate item, can also be used to store money. This can be used to store accumulated money temporarily, or in replace of the bank. A personal bank can be useful when it is unsafe outside but you want to go out and play. It can also be useful if a real bank is far away from your house and can act as a secondary way of accessing money for nearby vendors. It allows for a player to more stealthily stash and retrieve their wealth, to prevent things like bank camping. It can also be used as a way to safely share wealth with gang members, friends, or other housemates instead of transferring money to each other at a bank.

These chests can also be looted. Currently, there isn't much reason to raid a small apartment. The most you'll ever find is a printer or a few pot plants. This would encourage people to try and explore other's houses, and make there actually be a risk reward for trying to break locks. Locks could also be used to protect your chests from would be looters.

I believe these features would foster a much more active and engaged community as it would lead to more interactive and aggressive gameplay than simply killing each other. It would also encourage a bit more interior design as protecting your wealth could include hiding or making your loot difficult to reach.

I am an experienced software engineer and would be glad to assist in helping out the server in adding this or any other higher priority features.

Cheers,
      Macho
    • If the challenge of this is due to hl2:dm's modeling / prop / entity systems, I'd still like to suggest something be done to provide similar solutions to the problems I mentioned earlier. Inventory clutter is a thing, and digging through 4 pages of weapons to find more shotgun ammo during a fight is frustrating. Same with having to scroll through 3 pages of categories to access computer software when you have 30 bank software to use. Dropping your items feels like a waste. I'd say anything to address this would be a massive quality of life improvement.

I think the current lock system will always be flawed from a gameplay perspective until there is a economically beneficial reason to break someone's locks. Right now you will almost always spend more money breaking locks than the value you could possibly get from what is inside. So long as this is the case, breaking someone's lock will continue to be primarily used to harass other players, and is not a fun mechanic.

I also think adding any sort of additional active PvP element would really breath new life to this game. I think adding some additional beneficial reason to break into houses would be a good way to do this, but any other active style of gameplay would accomplish the same goal. Antlion spawns and shipment drops are a fun active style game mechanic, but they are infrequent and rely on the server to provide them for you. The only player driven form of active engagement with other players is to buy guns and kill each other. This obviously is the intent of the game engine, but having it be the main / only thing to do to other players leads to a negative player experience and fosters a more toxic environment.

The roleplay mod is centered around economy, and I think some form of economic interaction against other players would be an exciting new avenue to explore.
    • Well we just created a new item for the sole purpose of raiding and getting passed locks. however its going to be super rare.

this chest idea has been thought of before by sidezz but never implemented. its not too bad of an idea. if done properly could create more incentive to raid yes, but has to be worth it to store stuff in or else people wont even use it.
    • what is the point of using storage than? To be able to get to your rev's and lockbreakers easier? Sounds to me like it has much more potential than that... inventory limit would force excess to go into storage which makes more incentive for raids & item management
      sniper santa misslelauncher
    • While I'm not against the idea of inventory limits, I think it would be a messy mechanic when it comes to things like dailies, drops, and lottery crates. I also don't think it would be necessary. I was just talking last night with someone who was saying how he drops every single item he gets so that computer software stays on the first page of inventory. Being able to store items, and share them with friends would be more than enough reason to get me to use one.

If people really think there wouldn't be enough incentive to use a chest, a positive re-enforcement would be a better idea. It doesn't make much sense lore wise, but what if a chest gains a very small amount of interest (maybe 0.1% like my IRL savings account blegh) on the money + value of items stored to compensate for the risk.

I don't agree, but if admins think a negative re-enforcement approach would be a better idea, I'd suggest dropping of certain items upon death, for those over 10 hours. Like how weed and money is dropped upon death, weapons and ammo might be a good candidate. This or inventory limits would be a fundamental shift in the way the game is played, and I would advise to consider other options instead of punishing players for the style of gameplay they are used to and have enjoyed over the years. I'd love to see this game become something more like Rust, but... if I really wanted a gameplay experience like that, I'd just go and play Rust.
    • More risk = Less incentive to play afk = More reward for aggressive / defensive play = Interesting gameplay. Thats all ima say on the topic, I'm all for changing the dynamic of RP.

In the end, it'd just be a lot of work to correctly balance item weight if limits were put back in.
      sniper santa misslelauncher
    • I've been pondering over this today, and the more I think about it, the more I think that an inventory limit would be a good idea.

1. It would encourage people to actually store items in their chest.
      2. It would encourage people to buy apartments to store their chest.
      3. More people would join gangs or otherwise team up to protect their chests.
      4. Propping would be better utilized, making houses more interesting.
      5. It would prevent one person stealing all of the items in a chest in one trip, or makes a thief be selective in what they take.
      6. The stolen items would have to be put in a chest themselves, allowing them to be stolen back. This prevents harassment of a rich player stealing all the items from a relatively new player without any chance of retribution or return of said items.

It might lead to a small backlash, but I think it would ultimately make the gameplay more interesting.

Why does there need to be weights? Why not just give each player a total item limit, while having chests be able to store unlimited items. A total item limit like 500 or 1,000 or total items would give new players plenty of space to do their own thing for awhile, and long time players a small need to store excess items. The only thing I can think of that would make this annoying is paper for money printers. Nothing else is needed in such large quantities. But paper for money printers could probably use a bit of a rework anyway (why does 50 paper fill up 100% of the printer, but one battery and ink only use up 40% of a full printer?).
    • Machonerd wrote:

I've been pondering over this today, and the more I think about it, the more I think that an inventory limit would be a good idea.

1. It would encourage people to actually store items in their chest.
      2. It would encourage people to buy apartments to store their chest.
      3. More people would join gangs or otherwise team up to protect their chests.
      4. Propping would be better utilized, making houses more interesting.
      5. It would prevent one person stealing all of the items in a chest in one trip, or makes a thief be selective in what they take.
      6. The stolen items would have to be put in a chest themselves, allowing them to be stolen back. This prevents harassment of a rich player stealing all the items from a relatively new player without any chance of retribution or return of said items.

It might lead to a small backlash, but I think it would ultimately make the gameplay more interesting.

Why does there need to be weights? Why not just give each player a total item limit, while having chests be able to store unlimited items. A total item limit like 500 or 1,000 or total items would give new players plenty of space to do their own thing for awhile, and long time players a small need to store excess items. The only thing I can think of that would make this annoying is paper for money printers. Nothing else is needed in such large quantities. But paper for money printers could probably use a bit of a rework anyway (why does 50 paper fill up 100% of the printer, but one battery and ink only use up 40% of a full printer?).
      some more thoughts
      - storage chests are immovable props that are loaded while keyholders of the house are online
      - storage chests have separate key holders like doors
      - storage chests are interacted with by pressing E, opening a menu to retrieve or store items
      - opened with lockpicks or possibly a new rebel item
      - upgradable: there could be a lock limit or item limit that requires a more expensive storage chest to increase the limit
      - addons: an item that when added to the storage chest will notify keyholders when broken into (tracers too?)
      - upgradable inventory size?
      - rules to prevent prop blocking storage chests, breaking into them through walls, etc.
      overall a great opportunity to create more money sinks since everyone is a multi-millionaire