Pinned Changes to: Donations & Incentives

• Changes to: Donations & Incentives

Over the past several weeks a few of us have been talking and meeting to discuss a reworking of donations and the entire system regarding them in order to tune for the future, this also encompasses whether or not certain things are to be added, to be cut/removed outright or changed
      Things like pricing and benefits have been revised Alternative donation options have been considered and added
      Rather than give you a bunch of awkward tech talk and numbers gimmicks, I'll just say the important things that may effect you

Revisions to Gold & Silver VIP on HL2DM: Instead of this being what seems to be like a one off "payment", I wanted this type of thing to yield only towards a specific game and/or mode, provided that the server being ran is running a game mode or mod that would enable this to be a realistic option

To elaborate on what these packages are: 365 Days of a premium - VIP (want this to be renamed to donor for clarification reasons) These are currently only available for the HL2DM server because it's just what we've chosen for the server.

There are going to be some changes to these rankings, namely the removal of unrestricted access to the models menu. This however, will come with a reimbursement for current donors. If you have a platinum, talk to myself or syle directly. You know who you are.

The changes on this are due in part to a large expansion of donor content being made available to everyone, albeit in a different manner and a different pace. Think similarly to the pointshop addon from garrysmod.

What has been added or is proposed: A (tri?/bi?) monthly subscription ($5-$15, price to be discussed) - think similar to being a patron or supporter. What does this entail?

You get a special degree of access to the donor menu. There would be a subsection in the menu specifically for subscribers, that only you guys could access. You get extra pointshop currency per day, and a bonus for every cycle renewal and a bonus to that bonus for consecutively subscribing (several months in a row gaining a multiplier) The pointshop currency will be made tradeable in all servers

To elaborate a bit better on the new point shop concept: ALL players donor or not, have access to this. The items in it are permanent unlocks via the shop currency ALL players will recieve shop currency on a daily login. Obviously, monthly subscriptions would receive a bonus multiplier to this and donating for a semi-permanent (gold/silver) package would net you a set value of currency as part of the package in consolation to the more limited access to what was previously given entirely Shop unlocks remain consistent across all servers of all games. This means that if you unlock a trail in HL2DM, you will have it in a CS:S or CS:GO server, except where a rare complication may apply.

"Ok that's cool and all, but what about current VIPs?" You guys would/will be given a consolation amount of shop currency. The last thing we want to do is make a scenario that's unfair to the people who have helped keep the server up and running for nearly a decade.

What you can expect from the menu:
      • Hats
      • Trails
      • Models
      • Colors
      • Effects
      • Cosmetic overrides
      • [your suggestion here]

Feel free to discuss. This is up for negotiation.
    • +1 for renaming VIP to donor. All our players are very important people.

I like the idea of opening up the cosmetic items to all users. The idea of a cosmetic shop that donors would get more currency seems to be a nice way of handling this. However if these are permanent unlocks, I see people donating up until they get the items they want, then thinking they don't need to donate anymore. Some other temporary perks should be available to current donors to make it feel worthwhile. Also, you mention you'd be donating for a specific game or specific mode, then mention how anything you unlock will carry across servers? It feels a little complicated, a donor status should just be global.

Changing up the business model and the features at the same time might be rocking the boat a little too much. If it is $5 or $10 for three months to keep it similarly inline with current Gold VIP ($20 or $40 a year) then this is less of a concern, but if it costs more than that it will feel like charging more money for less of a benefit. People might get upset. I know donating should be out of the goodness of people's love for the community, but in practicality the incentives need to be in line with what people are paying. I believe you guys will be able to handle this well, but without any additional details on all the changes, I wanted to make this point heard.

Also, I have some concerns about the handling of current donors. I just donated for Gold VIP status not even a week ago. Now I'm being told all the perks are being changed, and the cost might be changing. Will my status go away after 2 months now? With the sole benefit being a "consolation amount of shop currency"? I know it would feel differently had I donated even a month ago, but having it be so recently makes it feel like I might not be getting what I paid for. Ultimately I donated because I want to support the community and the hard work of everyone involved, but if I feel this way I know other people must feel similarly.

I really like the intentions behind these changes, and even most of the suggested execution. I just think more clarifying details will be needed on the full implementation before I'd give it my full enthusiastic support.
    • Machonerd wrote:

+1 for renaming VIP to donor. All our players are very important people.

Also, I have some concerns about the handling of current donors. I just donated for Gold VIP status not even a week ago. Now I'm being told all the perks are being changed, and the cost might be changing. Will my status go away after 2 months now? With the sole benefit being a "consolation amount of shop currency"? I know it would feel differently had I donated even a month ago, but having it be so recently makes it feel like I might not be getting what I paid for. Ultimately I donated because I want to support the community and the hard work of everyone involved, but if I feel this way I know other people must feel similarly.
      I probably worded it poorly in the original post.
      Game specific donation packages are entirely separate from subscriptions, that meaning that Gold/Silver will maintain their yearly length and price. The only changes to these would be loss of the model menu but in exchange, depending on tier, you'd receive enough currency to buy like 5-15 models or other things from the shop (tbd).
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest