Motd and New players

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Motd and New players

Since when new players join the first go to(at least for myslef) i reference motd first, tutorial second depending on if its set up, then the website. Having motd as the first given resource is great because it gives players a quick, easily accesable guide. Suggestion is : when you first type motd and get 'Welcome' Screen how about a quick rundow of 1.Where to find jobs(dog) 2.You cant be killed by any other players unless provoking. 3. No killing other box players 4.(Weirdly a big one)No door spamming/blocking 5. There are different shops across the map where you can purchase items(simple but more than often is acked about) 6. List of commands new players whom are unfamilar would not know and the things available to bind and how to bind them

Not that these things cant be found witH taking a few moments to look through the motd yet it may work well with New player instruction being the first thing you see when you type motd and then everything as follows. Just a thought it may give players more incentive to stick around whether they just purchased the game or just reinstalled it after months or years of not playing(Hl2dm doesnt exactly have a consistent player base, and what it does have is found on coldcommunity)and obviously theyve come back or purchased the game for a reason and beyond this server there isnt much but shitty dm with high grav and instant fuckin death or shitty co ops this server is it so when they leave the server they probably leave game shortly after, a quick pull in with no hassle instead the new player feeling like they have to take a ton of time to learn the game and it be a long process(in reality we know it isnt but they see it that way) its either too much or they just run around doing aimless things i feel some players might become reocurring if given quick instructions and actually feel like they are involved in the game immediately rather than they are in some big 10 hour tutorial. Just a suggestion

Keep Rockin ColdCommunity & Admins sniper sniper rocketlauncher
    • A lot of new players won't even read the welcome page on the motd.

If I am busy then I just tell them to use /tutorial and then afterwards to have a look at the motd for useful info and rules, and coldcommunity.com for the wiki.
      But normally I will show them around the map while explaining all of the basics that you mentioned, and much more useful info like dailies, spins, etc, all that good stuff.
      And then I encourage them to read the motd for even more info and rules, and to check out coldcommunity.com for the wiki.
      This seems to give them more incentive to actually read the motd for rules, commands, etc, and to check out the site for the wiki on daily challenges which leads to them learning even more info - giving them even more incentive to experiment and stick around for a while.

But I do like your suggestion, if only new players would read it.
    • People don't even have to type MOTD - as soon as you join the Server it's in your face, you have to close it before being able to do anything else.

People don't like to read, the vast majority would rather stare at a TV or Video than read anything.
      I've noticed this same behavior with the vast majority of people I meet in real life at my job. 90% of them don't read ANY of the posted signs and this includes Price Tags on an object they themselves are ''interested'' in buying.

"Excuse me, how much is this Laptop?"
      - "Well if you look infront of the Laptop there is a placard with bright orange paper and a price tag with all the Specs on it."
      "Look, how much is it?"
      - "Can you not read you fucking inbred?"
      Customer Leaves.

• Volar wrote:

People don't even have to type MOTD - as soon as you join the Server it's in your face, you have to close it before being able to do anything else.

People don't like to read, the vast majority would rather stare at a TV or Video than read anything.
      I've noticed this same behavior with the vast majority of people I meet in real life at my job. 90% of them don't read ANY of the posted signs and this includes Price Tags on an object they themselves are ''interested'' in buying.

"Excuse me, how much is this Laptop?"
      - "Well if you look infront of the Laptop there is a placard with bright orange paper and a price tag with all the Specs on it."
      "Look, how much is it?"
      - "Can you not read you fucking inbred?"
      Customer Leaves.
      But seriously, how much is it?
      #HailTheGoldenPoon
    • Some of the new players don’t even speak English or understand English though. I know other players who speak whatever language the new player happens to speak but they aren’t always on at the same time.
      “no admin for nova“- The Doggy 7/3/2018 @21:50pm (9:50pm)