Tag! You're it!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tag! You're it!

Hello! I'm drunk, but I've got a thing to express in a discussion thread.

I would like to talk about the new tag gamemode. Doggy ever so graciously blessed us with this tag game and it sure is fun. People have been playing it a lot. While it is very fun it does have some issues. I would like to acknowledge these issues and also suggest some improvements to the game to make it even more fun. Hopefully anyone who helps develop the tag game can utilize this in a useful way.

First, the issues. This is a new gamemode so one would expect that there would be bugs to iron out. There are many of these bugs. For instance:

-Sometimes players spawn blue instead of pink/purple when they are runners

-Players can be entered into a game that they did not join. Once a player has entered a game they may become involved in all future games. Even if they disconnect or quit the game.

-The !start command will send players to the player that did the !tag command

-Runners that won the last round will have a beacon when the next game starts

-The timer and the distance meter don't work. Except for the first time the game is played.

I am pretty sure these are all the known bugs. I've asked other players for their input too.

So now, here are some suggestions for how the game could be expanded or made better.

-The start of the game. At the start of the game, the tagger is able to tag other players because the players all spawn in the same location. This speaks for itself. Also, since taggers do not have access to the gravity gun, runners can get into certain locations (like bases that require gravity gun to enter) and the taggers cannot get in. We cannot expect players to act on common law to not exploit this. In fact, I have seen this be exploited. That is why I am including this.

-Removal of beacons. The SOUND of the beacon is okay. The huge circle is the problem. The "Tag" game is more like Hide and Seek. But you cannot hide when you have a beacon around you. The current map, city 45, has a few places where the beacon cannot be seen. For instance, the jump course or any empty warehouse bases. Once these places are learned, people will check them every time. Then, you can only hide in other gimmicky spots. On other maps, such as amsterville or something, there are not such spots. Without the beacon this would be a true Hide and Seek. The sound would be enough to help seekers find the other players.

-Related to the last point, the game should be called Hide and Seek. But, this does not mean tag should not exist. I would like to commend The Doggy for coding this game, as it adds something fresh to the server and keeps it alive and interesting. This is exactly what the server needs. So, if the game was renamed to hide and seek, and THEN another game was added named "Tag", this would add more content and allow players to do something fun when they are not shooting each other or growing weed/hacking.

-The new Tag game. If and when Hide and Seek is created and Tag is worked on, here is what Tag SHOULD look like. Tag would be very similar to the IRL variant. One player is the tagger, and when they tag someone they transfer the tagger characteristic to another player and have to run from them. The tagged person would be in close proximity to the previous tagger, so perhaps they are frozen in place for three seconds. In this game, nobody really wins. The drive is that you fear losing by being the the player that is "it".

I am pretty sure that this is all I have to say. While i am drunk, other players have suggested a few things. As far as my drunk brain goes, this is a worthy thread for this recent development in the Cold Community server. Thank you for your time reading this, and I would like to thank The Doggy again for exerting their effort into making this possible in the first place.

-Fungus
    • Thanks for the feedback, most of these should be fixed now, the latest development versions will always be here: steam://connect/doggywoofwoof.live:27016

I may rename tag to hide n seek and create a new game for tag entirely but not until all the current issues are resolved.

Also the code is now open source!: github.com/The-Doggy/-HL2DM-Minigames Issues and pull requests welcome!
    • The distance to nearest runner also doesn't work. Also for the new tag version, maybe have boundaries set where they can run, or take away their use key so they cannot use doors. Maybe add the visual part of the beacon to the last 30 or 60 seconds. There is one piece that got missed, there are some times where the game overall just absolutely breaks and will not start. The host can use !start to then teleport everyone to him and farm them for kills. Also the taggers/seekers can farm zombies with the stun stick without taking damage. Another thing is if you have bounty it has the bounty beam right to where you are.

One final suggestion for tag or the new version of tag. Maybe you can work with MAV on a map specifically designed for tag, kind of like something with obstacles and parkouring.