Props and Teleports

• Props and Teleports

Should blocking teleport locations with props be legal or illegal? 12
        Totally Illegal and Overpowered. Not fair to players (7) 58%
        Totally Legal and easy to work around. (5) 42%
      So I have heard of a debate that has kind of been going on involving the use of props to block teleport locations. Both sides have valid arguments and I figured I would throw this post together to allow for discussion and an overall ruling on the subject to further create clarity on the subject. From there the rule can then be covered in the MOTD and wiki to provide guidance on the subject going forward.

Argument A is that use props to capture people in the teleport location is too OP and should be not allowed. The argument is similar to the reason why slams get despawned around these locations. And the idea is that if there is an area where slams cannot be placed, props should not be placed there as well. I have given it the term for now "teleblocking".

Argument B is that it should be allowed because unlike slams, it does not physically kill the player and there are ways to work around this prop block. First and foremost, you can unstuck yourself from the prop using your grav gun that every player has. The other option to work around it is to use a prop eater on the prop when you teleport, Birddieboo even showed that you can delete the prop through a wall with prop eaters. You can furthermore make it easier to eat the prop by binding the prop eater item itself to a button. You can then tele, use the prop eat bind and you are now free to engage the enemy without being stuck. The server also has a prop spawn limit per player of 7 items while the server is up. This resets when the server resets, so its not something a player can do infinitely. This argument is the one that I personally support but I would like to get a healthy debate going for both sides. Also Hoosa gives the best head, if you have not have the opportunity to get vacuum sucked by him you should definitely look for the opportunity, completely #1.

I didn't know whether to include this next section into the debate above or if it is a second debate that should happen. But based on the ruling of this debate the ability to block things like spawn points and the teleport that happens when players are released from jail should also be looked at for more clarity on the subject.

I have added a final poll so that players can vote for their opinion so that we can have a total consensus on the subject that admins can base the rule off of.
    • Birddieboo wrote:

i dont remember doin that,
      It was at the secret by the monument, or were you deleting the prop another way to try and get in?

(I tried to directly quote this line from birddie, but for some reason the quote system glitches)
      also i can tell this entire post it to try and sway people to the teleport blocking side so you can keep doing it

I do believe that is the correct argument, but I tried my best to see both sides. If you would like to add counterarguments you can, this is an open discussion. I just feel that I would rather get this done now than have a month of everyone being on a different page.
    • Soo with the two servers I host in Opposing Force Dm prop blocking and satchel stacking on teleport entrances and exits is not allowed. My admins and I decided to make that illegal years back because of the issues of it hindering a players movement, causing players to get stuck and glitch. In my opinion it’s still prop glitching/prop blocking, and op.

Now with hl2dm yes you have the push command and grav gun to move the prop out of you’re way but with moving it does cause damage to the players that’s stuck.

I’m just speaking from the issues I have seen with it.
      "If his destiny be strange, it is also sublime." misslelauncher

“From a caprice of nature, not from the ignorance of man. Not a mistake has been made in the working. But we cannot prevent equilibrium from producing its effects. We may brave human laws, but we cannot resist natural ones.”
    • I'm pretty sure I've been told off for doing this in the past. (though not kicked or banned).

Using this glitch when you're in the secret room at the end of the maze potentialy turns that space into an inpenatrable area. Incoming players can push the prop or use a prop easter but that takes a sec to happen. The player defending can too easily stay at the far end and kill anyone who comes in while they are deleting the prop. Then spawn a replacement.

On the plus side - The glitch does create a bit of a challenge for everone to get to the player in the room, which can be fun. It's not impossible to get past the teleblock, but it needs a bunch of players to go in quickly together.

For me this is a question for Cops to adddress - how do they feel about an area on the map that can be solidly defended by a player with high crime? I know props are use in houses to the same effect, to make it almost impossible for cops to get in, but as I understand it any proping that makes it 100% impossible to cuff (there was a thread about Hustlers base a while back) gets a forced re designed by admin (?)
    • op4_Capt_n3Mo wrote:

Now with hl2dm yes you have the push command and grav gun to move the prop out of you’re way but with moving it does cause damage to the players that’s stuck.
      Prop eaters are also a thing, and with prop eater binded you can eliminate the obstruction without the prop causing yourself damage and still have a fair chance against the player. If you would like to I can demonstrate how effective prop eating binded can be against this obstruction.
      I went and recorded a demo of how fast you can prop eat a teleblocking prop with binds. drive.google.com/file/d/1R15m5…ktkr1TOT/view?usp=sharing

Captain Cock wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've been told off for doing this in the past. (though not kicked or banned).
      In the past we didn't have prop eaters or binds legal, since then the rule has changed. This thread is not about the past of the server but of the current state the server is in. Yes it may be frowned upon, but so is passive mode, or sex and RPGs or even superbases now. It can be something that is frowned upon, but I feel it should still be allowed.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MeTaL ^x^: Added prop eater demo. Added additional comments to captain's response. ().

• Prop blocking teleports is the same as prop blocking a doorway or access way.
      Teleports are there to make areas fair and accessible.

As far as I am aware prop blocking itself is against the rules so prop blocking a teleport would be?
      I suppose if you can prop block teleports we can just prop block the Jail exit?

The area metal is talking about is the one way walls outside the PD where people camp and shoot from, the only way to get in once the walls are up is a single teleport location. If that is blocked it creates an impossible situation for anyone trying to get those people out of that area.
    • Several of us were talking tonight about this, and it's splitting hairs over nothing IMO. The logic is this:
      -- It is illegal to prop block a door, no questions asked. And a door is a point of ingress/egress.
      -- A teleport points origin and destination are also a point of ingress/egress.
      I give credit to MadMAx who summed it up best: "So it's just a wording issue... we just need to change the rule to state no prop-blocking any place of ingress/egress".
      Simple, drama over. As usual, the only people defending this exploit are the ones who want to exploit it. So can we just Judge Judy this shit and make it clear?
      Easily enforceable as well... admins can just run the "sm_furnwho" command to see who offenders are, and summarily deal with them.
      --Thunder
    • Syle Created - Volar Edited wrote:

Do not Door Block.
      - This includes but is not limited to Doors, both sliding and swinging, and Elevators.
      - Example: Spamming "E" on a Door or Elevator switch to trap another player inside or to block others from entering a map structure.
      - Example: Placing a Prop in such a way that it jams a Door or Elevator to affect it's operations.
      The basic gist is all there but props on Teleports were overlooked due to SLAMs being allowed on them at the time.
      Since we removed the ability to even place SLAMs within X Radius of a Teleport then we should include Props as illegal.

Second Example doesn't mention it but can easily be reworded.

New Rule.

Do not Door Block.
      - This includes but is not limited to Doors, both sliding and swinging, Elevators and Teleports.
      - Example: Spamming "E" on a Door or Elevator Switch to trap another player inside or to block others from entering a map structure.
      - Example: Placing a Prop in such a way that it jams a Door, Elevator or Teleport to affect it's operations.

MOTD will be updated shortly to reflect the Wiki.