China's Dev/ Admin Application

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• China's Dev/ Admin Application

Steam Name: China Syndrome

SteamID: STEAM_0:1:11731815

How long have you been a part of our community(either server)?: past 6-7 years here before then I was on Chaos Crew,
    Voyagers,AP, Tigers Clan, KRS, basically since 2005

What does being a staff member entail?:Why do you believe that you deserve to be granted a trial-staff position?:
    Helping and enforcing the rules, or helping by enforcing the rules. Sometimes it is the simple things, welcoming a new player, other times it is kicking or banning people
    mostly it is telling people the rules and small acts of kindness to help people out. I know I have not always been the best citizen on this server, however the last year plus
    I have tried to help new players and to be less of an antagnistic dick.

I think on the dev side I could help with setting up new maps and working bugs and helping to implement new features.
    Do code reviews and QA test on a test server.

Bring another perspective or just be a sounding board for the other developers.

Do you have any previous staffing experience(s) (List community and, if possible, rank)?:
    Cop on this server
    was a Junior admin/cop on AP
    Admin on Voyagers and Chaos Crew

Cop and admin on Tigers clam

Do you understand the basic commands of our server that we use? If so please list how to do the following(Completely):
    a). Kicking a player: /kick
    b). Banning a player(for one day): /ban playername 1440 breaking rules
    c). Creating a prop: /db_create
    d). Freezing a prop: /freezeit
    e). Saving a prop: /save
    f). Connecting a prop to a door: /linkpropdoor
    g). How to look up any SourceMod command: sm_searchcmd

Explain how you would handle the following situations:

A player says they suspect another player of hacking: Evidence is key, logoff, change name come back in spectator mode, record video, be a sneaky ninja,

A cop is rdming other players: Cop works for the server, take them aside and privately tell them to stop, should they not then fire up recording, tell them again, if then no response a /kick should
    get the message across. If it continues then ban them and post evidence

A rebel is rdming players under ten hours: Tell him to stop, if then no response a /kick should
    get the message across. If it continues then ban them and post evidence.

A new player connects whom has never played lite rp before: Tell him or her the rules, explain that no one should attack an under 10 hrs player, suggest the /tutorial, above all else make them feel welcome,
    give a tour maybe a few more items or cash to help them out

A player says they have lost their cop due to a mess up: Case by Case basis, get to the heart of the matter, get evidence but don't take their word for it blindly

Have you read and understood the community rules?: yes Indeed

Do you understand that it will be your job to enforce these rules?: That I do

Do you understand that you as a staff member are still to abide by these rules along with others pertaining to staff?: yes

Do you understand that misuse of your rank will result in your immediate removal as well as other possible consequences such as a ban?: Yes.

I have been here for years and I look forward to being a positive, contributor to the society.

Dev: I feel i could be best helping with some of the coding, that is more up my alley.
    I have a lot to learn but I think I could bring value and manybe a bit of knowledge.

I have been a .NET/ SQL developer since 2007, I have string database skills with MS SQL server/ oracle,
    I know Javascript/Jquery and other scripting languages. I don't ahve alot of Linux experiance sicne everything i do is
    windows but I am willing to learn and take constructive feedbak

China Syndrome
  • My 2 cents...

I like China, even though he kills me pretty much on sight which can be annoying.
    He does know what he's talking about. Although some players seem to have issues with him, I don't.

When it occasionally descends into a dickhead championship in the server China plays to win, but I'd still give him the opportunity.

+1
  • China is a player who has a great intelligence but isn't afraid to be the bad guy. He is meticulous and clever and due to these traits could make a fine addition to the dev team. Even if it is working on something small, or just looking for bugs/errors I'm sure there is some kind of work that he could take on that would free up other dev's to work on bigger projects. I'm fine to give a +1
  • I like that China has shown his commitment to our community over the course of many years before looking for a position in the administration. He's always been an antagonist, but those are needed for in-game relationships to develop. I haven't played enough HL2:DM recently to view his behavior regarding whether he assists noobs, but that would tell us if he has shifted to a more community-oriented mindset.

China always seems to be vigilant about HL2:DM related issues. I get many messages from him about how I should restart the damn plugin.

I've known him for several years, he is obviously dedicated. It seems like we need more boots-on-the-ground for the hl2dm server.
    I would love to hear more about his experience with coding before we consider him for position of such great potential influence, but I think he would be a good server admin.

My main fear would be his willingness to communicate, as I don't remember China to be a very chatty individual. The plugin-related PMs help alleviate this fear though.