Ban Russian and Belarus Ip’s

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ban Russian and Belarus Ip’s

I understand Gabe Newal is looking to ban all Russian players from Steam. No money transactions between Steam and Russian are happening.

There’s an argument in either direction – allowing Russian and Belarussian players means they might actually access some truth about the invasion of Ukraine. Their own media is blocking all discussion. But I think supporting the global efforts to bring peace and freedom Ukraine in whatever tiny way we can is in line with the ethos of fairness in the server.

Blocking server access, but perhaps allowing forum access might be something to consider.

I’m not sure if it’s even possible for the server to ban an IP due to location, but I ask whether we should be among the first, not last to do it. If it’s not possible, until Steam does which I think it will, we should at least agree that Russian and Belarus players are muted by admin (or mute perm ban) and chat spamming provocative shit by anyone gets a similar ban.

I get the “keep politics out of gaming” and I think there’s a general rule that political arguments are discouraged. It migt feel a bit silly or futile for one HL2 server to do something, but I don’t feel comfortable hiding behind that any more.

Russian Players and the Russian people are NOT our enemies. I live in London where then is a huge Russian community and I have many Russian friends here. It breaks my heart that they are being blindfolded and blamed for their leadership forcing a million women and children out of their homes and then systematically destroying their free country. I’ve fought Hustler many many times (he always beats me) and this is not personal against him or any other Russian players. I really want to know what he honestly thinks. He’s a but crazy but he’s intelligent enough to be worth listening to.

Syle – ultimately this is up to you. I know you’re life isn’t entirely focused on this one server and this might not reach you for a while (anyone that might IM him and see what he thinks would be great) but doing nothing feels very wrong to me.

NumbNuts
  • it's interesting, Hustler actually admitted to me in a DM that he doesn't believe Russia's reasons for invasion, yet he still pushes those reasons in the discord. That right there should tell you everything you need to know. He could simply stay silent about it, but he (and other Russians recently on server) keep pushing the Russian narrative of "liberation from Nazis." Which has been disproven and debunked the world over.

Russia has currently silenced all national and foreign media from using the words "war and invasion" in any reporting on Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Putin just signed a law that any journalist or citizen who uses those words to describe Russia & Ukraine, is to be jailed for 15 years.

Steam hasn't banned any Russian player IPs, just Russian developers and financial transactions to and from. If Russians find themselves unable to connect, then they can blame Russia's own censors for that.