A New Approach: Consumable Lockspicks & Doorhacks

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • A New Approach: Consumable Lockspicks & Doorhacks

      This is something I suggested a long time ago, and I finally got to work making it a reality.

      This update would fundamentally change how Locks, Lockpicks & Doorhacks work altogether so FEEDBACK IS NEEDED! Changing locks from being an absolute form of protection to a deterrent form of protection.

      Locks as they are right now are a reoccurring topic it seems and I have a suggestion to entirely change how the system works.

      Step 1. This system will take Lockpicks & Doorhacks and turn them into 'consumables' once used they vanish. Regardless of whether or not the action passes or fails.
      Step 2. Your locks will no longer provide you with absolute security from intruders, they will only decrease the chance of them getting through the door.

      For this example, the lock limit for our door is 100.
      0 locks -> lock picking will always pass.
      50 locks -> 50% chance of failure and a 50% chance of passing.
      75 locks -> 75% chance of failure and a 25% chance of passing.
      100 locks -> lock picking will always fail.

      See the system in action here;
      Lock Picking failure chance 97% or 97/100 Locks -> Generated number 84 which is <= 97 -> Picking Failed



      Lock Picking failure chance 16% or 16/100 Locks -> Generated number 73 which is > 16 -> Picking Passed




      So why should we use this system?

      It will make players more alert and allow even the poorest of users a shot at entering a massive base. Provided luck is on their side when raiding. So you can take your pick, break a few locks and take the chance or break all of the locks and ensure victory.

      Edit!:

      I've uploaded this modification to my website Rezozplace.com/rezozrp/

      Source code & Compile ready sourcemod version is included in the download.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Micobot ().

    • A few questions:

      Do we get rid of the levels in lockpicks/doorhacks or do we keep the levels and raise their usefulness?

      Are you just thinking of 100 locks per door? cause in that case i think we would need to raise the prices of locks and lockbreakers because most of our player base is usually afk and if we get rid of the afk part of our game or make it almost worthless a 60% of our players might not want to afk then there goes the purpose of changing the lock system.

      lastly, how long for the recharge rate? since some of the dailies are based off of the cooldowns for lockpicks and doorhacks. also to the question above, if the recharge rate is low after it has been consumed then that might effect our way of playing the game.

      Thanks.
      You defeat your enemies when they become your friends
    • MiraclesBelieveInMe wrote:

      A few questions:

      Do we get rid of the levels in lockpicks/doorhacks or do we keep the levels and raise their usefulness?

      Are you just thinking of 100 locks per door? cause in that case i think we would need to raise the prices of locks and lockbreakers because most of our player base is usually afk and if we get rid of the afk part of our game or make it almost worthless a 60% of our players might not want to afk then there goes the purpose of changing the lock system.

      lastly, how long for the recharge rate? since some of the dailies are based off of the cooldowns for lockpicks and doorhacks. also to the question above, if the recharge rate is low then that might effect our way of playing the game.

      Thanks.
      Answered line-by-line.

      1. 100 is just for the example so it's easy to calculate percentage of 100. This can be expanded as high as the players want but there has to be a set limit on the lock count. i.e on 1,000 lock limit, 100 locks would be a %10 failure chance.

      2. The current system would imply a single tier. However they could be made so that the failure chance is reduced by %1, %5, %10 when used and would cost more accordingly.

      3. To avoid spam all Lockpicks / Doorhacks would have a cooldown of 5 seconds. Dailies would likely have to be adjusted.

      //These are just examples of pricing, Higher tier would cost more, but have a more potent reduction.
      Tier 1 - $1,500 - 0% Failure chance reduction.
      Tier 2 - $3,000 - 2.5% Failure chance reduction.
      Tier 3 - $6,000 - 5% Failure chance reduction.

      //These would be equalized.
      Lock - $1,000
      Lockbreaker - $1,000
    • Wouldn't removing the cooldown (besides bind prevention cooldown) be the point of making these things consumable??

      I do like the idea of adding in a chance of failure, but idk about tiers. Since we do not have skills and skill exp/levels in this game like in an mmorpg, maybe just stick to a single item? Give it like a 10% chance of failure or something.

      You could maybe add an additional item. Maybe a boobytrap for doors. If a lockpick or doorhack is successful on a boobytrapped door, then an explosion takes 50% of your health or something (and the door stays locked and closed). Max 1 boobytrap on a door at a time.
    • CaveJohnson wrote:

      Wouldn't removing the cooldown (besides bind prevention cooldown) be the point of making these things consumable??

      I do like the idea of adding in a chance of failure, but idk about tiers. Since we do not have skills and skill exp/levels in this game like in an mmorpg, maybe just stick to a single item? Give it like a 10% chance of failure or something.

      You could maybe add an additional item. Maybe a boobytrap for doors. If a lockpick or doorhack is successful on a boobytrapped door, then an explosion takes 50% of your health or something (and the door stays locked and closed). Max 1 boobytrap on a door at a time.
      What bind prevention do we have on items other than weapons/food? I've seen people with those super doorhacks running around pd opening multiple doors in quick succession...
      I thought 5 seconds was a short enough time frame to both allow brute forcing but not being too spammy at the same time, maybe 1-3 sec would be better?

      Booby traps are a good idea. We'd have to prevent the person placing it from being able to just slap another on the door immediately after the former has exploded.

      I was thinking about having items that provided failure chance boosts for newer players. Because lets say in theory if there was an economy reset, even 100 ($100k) locks on our current 500 limit is only 20% chance of failure which would make lock picking very easy and cheap at first... both at the start of the new economy and for people joining in the late game.

      So a item like a Pad Lock that for the next 24 hours of server time after it was placed on the door would provide an additional 15-25% failure chance to the door. A couple could be given to the player in a starter kit.
    • CaveJohnson wrote:

      I thought consumable lock picks would only be working on doors with no additional locks. Wasn't that the point?
      Lockbreakers are the ones you'd be breaking off people's locks with.
      Consumable lock picks would work on any door (rotating), the additional locks increase the chance lock picking fails & lock breakers reduce that chance. Hence in the OP I wrote "Changing locks from being an absolute form of protection to a deterrent form of protection."
    • Users Online 3

      3 Guests